Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Garage door opener too short range (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/garage-door-opener-too-short-range-37548.html)

yshoef 02-19-2012 12:57 AM

Garage door opener too short range

I have programmed my garage door opener to open my garage door ( lift master receiver) . Using the original remote it opens from around 150ft while when using the GC button I have to stay as close as 5-10 ft to the receiver, in worse cases it does't open at all even from zero distance.
Is this normal? Can the range be extended?
On GC 2011 Laredo X 70 anni.

bigjgcfan 02-19-2012 02:44 AM

Re: Garage door opener too short range

No, this is not normal... And unfortunately, the range cannot be extended.
But...

Sounds like you ended up with a weak signal there and you should try to erase all & re-program the HomeLink one more time. Especially if your transmitter is working by itself from 100+ feet.
While you might think that this is a wasted measure, you should definitely try these steps before you contact HomeLink or your Jeep dealer.

For a Sears or Lift Master GDO... What I would recommend doing is putting a fresh brand new battery in your original transmitter before you try this once again.
Yes, the new battery is important to beating this range issue.

TO ERASE:
Press the visor or overhead console HomeLink buttons 1&3 (the 2 outer) simultaneously for about 45-60 seconds until the small house red triangle-shaped LED indicator goes off.
This will erase all previously learned signals.

TO RE-PROGRAM:
Press & hold the HomeLink # button of your choice + the transmitter simultaneously until the red LED indicator goes from blinking slowly until rapidly. You have now trained the Jeep.
If after this step the garage door does not work/move, then you have a 'rolling code' opener where you have the additional step to now have the opener learn the Jeep.

You now must push the 'Learn or Train' button on the back or side of the opener motor head where an antenna wire will be hanging down. That button will be green, orange/red, purple, yellow, or black and you want to push it once quickly to light-up the little LED near it. You now have about 30 seconds to go down the ladder and out to the Jeep & push the HomeLink # button that you just had trained... Keep pressing it until you can see the light bulb(s) in the opener motor head blink on/off which will signify that this learn process is completed.

Hopefully, this will take care of your weak, short range transmitting problem. Good Luck!

brandont 02-19-2012 07:52 AM

Not normal. My Jeep's range is better than my wife's 328 and better than we had with either standard remote. I have found that I can hit it coming down the road (we live on a curve) or coming down a side road - neither of which allow the Jeep to face the house - and the door will be fully open before I even hit the driveway.

tnjeep 02-19-2012 08:26 AM

One thing I have noticed is that I have to hold down the transmit button for more than a second before it will open my garage door. The original transmiter would open the door as fast as I pushed the button.

Chriswelters 02-19-2012 08:56 AM

My jeep opens my garage door a lot farther than I thought it would. The button also needs to be help for a little longer to open.

77Cherokee 02-19-2012 10:22 AM

I have about a 300 foot range w/o having to hold down the button. The fact that yours works at close range means you may have signal interference blocking your transmitter. It could come from several sources. There are a myriad of wireless signals fighting for airspace. Although they are all supposed to work together, that's not always the case. Check your own home first by disconnecting all of your wireless devices and see if that resolves the situation. If it does, start turning them on one by one until the problem recurrs and you will have found the source. If it is coming from outside your house you probably won't be able to do anything about it.

armoredsaint 02-19-2012 01:36 PM

my homelink opens quite far, maybe some electrical interference?

jgc4ever 02-19-2012 02:36 PM

The front of your Jeep has to be at least just slightly pointed toward your garage for it to work; at least for mine it seems.

yshoef 02-19-2012 04:26 PM

Thank you all for your comments and toughts.
I will try to reprogram the buttons as described.

Knightrider03m 02-19-2012 09:30 PM

Depending on the time of day or what not, sometimes I have to pull up to my door to get it to open or sometimees I can use the door from a few yards back..... Samething goes for the gate at my job.

AAAA 02-20-2012 10:22 AM

I am amazed that there is not more interference among all the wireless signals going on in neighborhoods now. I am fortunate that mine works from several hundred feet away. You may never figure out what is causing your problem. And it could just improve for no apparent reason. Does anyone remember in the 1960's when garage doors were mysteriously opening. The culript was satellites!

Jeeters 02-20-2012 04:08 PM

The range on mine is about 100'. I have to hold the button in for a second or two, also.
Was about the same on my previous Liberty.