Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Help Please!! Aftermarket Radio/NAV (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/help-please-aftermarket-radio-nav-37602.html)

Karl_S 02-20-2012 12:22 AM

Help Please!! Aftermarket Radio/NAV

I have been experiencing a very strange problem, and could use some advice.

I had a JVC KW-NT50HDT In-Dash 6.1" CD/DVD Navigation unit installed in my 1 yr old, 2011 Grand Cherokee the first week of January.

I live in Minnesota, and we have had a very mild winter. But I have noticed on the few days that we have had cold weather temps, that I come out and the radio does not power up. Totally black.... nothing.

The first time this happened, after trying everything I could think of, I decided to check the fuse for the radio/ amp. The fuse was OK (not blown), so I simply reinserted it back into the fuse block, and voila, the radio powered up normally.

This has now happened six times, and each time, I simply remove the fuse, and reinsert the same fuse. In each occasion, the radio powers up again. On warmer days (mid- to upper 30's) I have not seen the loss of power issue. Other than this issue, the radio, and the vehicle has performed flawlessly.

Please, I am frustrated. Does anyone know what's going on?

ColdCase 02-20-2012 01:30 PM

Re: Help Please!! Aftermarket Radio/NAV

Sounds like an issue with the radio, perhaps the HDD does't want to start up when cold, but the extra juice of a power on reset will kick it off.

moosehead 02-20-2012 01:37 PM

Before taking it back to your installer for them to handle, suggest maybe trying either replacement fuse or slightly upsized fuse. Longshot, but Sounds like it could be a loose fuse capsule?

Karl_S 02-20-2012 08:41 PM

Thanks, Moosehead... I neglected to mention that sometime between the third or fourth time this happened in this way, I did totally replace the fuse-- thinking maybe the internal conductor had a microcrack that somehow widened when cold-- and the physical handling somehow made a circuit again. That has proved to not be the case...

RageOfFury 02-20-2012 09:01 PM

Some of those dvd/nav headunits don't play nice when it's really cold outside. They usually recommend you wait until the vehicle warms up before turning it on.

Also, what sort of wiring harness did you/they use? PAC C2R-CHY4??

Dabitz 02-20-2012 10:25 PM

I have the same radio with no issues at all... (knock on wood)

Karl_S 03-05-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 578095)
Some of those dvd/nav headunits don't play nice when it's really cold outside. They usually recommend you wait until the vehicle warms up before turning it on.

Also, what sort of wiring harness did you/they use? PAC C2R-CHY4??

Problem solved. The interface harness was to blame. Replaced it last week, and have had no problems since.... knock on wood....

moosehead 03-05-2012 11:09 AM

Cool, glad you got it squared away.