Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Plasti-dipped Grille (w/ pics) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/plasti-dipped-grille-w-pics-37630.html)

REALM 02-20-2012 03:00 PM

Plasti-dipped Grille (w/ pics)

3 Attachment(s)
Got my RRO leveling kit put on last week, and plasti-dipped the front grill last night. Came out surprisingly well, and blended way better than actual paint I've used in the past.

Took my time, did 4-5 coats with 30min drying time in between.
Didn't even take it off, just taped around it and the middle slots, then sprayed.

Durability test is yet to come, I've only driven to work so far, and hasn't even had the full 24 hour drying time. So far so good.

guitarguy2186 02-20-2012 03:21 PM

Re: Plasti-dipped Grille (w/ pics)

looks great REALM, interested to see how it holds up. Im thinking about plasti dipping part of my bull bar

REALM 02-20-2012 03:30 PM

Thanks! It didn't even take me one full can, and I did a gun stock in several coats at the same time. I bought 3 cans of this stuff, so if the grille holds up I'll expand to something else. :) I'm also curious on how it holds up to the sun.

bmrisko 02-20-2012 03:34 PM

The flat black against the gloss body makes it look cheap, IMHO. However, I am interested to hear how it holds up. I know a lot of people use the Plasti-dip for wheels and trim pieces with much success. :thumbsup:

Dabitz 02-20-2012 03:44 PM

What a coincidence, I was planning to post the question if anybody had done this. I kinda got mixed feelings about it still. I just saw someone's pic of an old grand cherokee claiming it still looks good after a year.

AytoSiks 02-20-2012 07:18 PM

That's amazing. I wanted to do that this weekend, but couldn't pull the trigger bc I expected to mess it up. I can't believe you got all the tricky angles and gaps. Well done! I did my wheels and I'm super happy with plasti-dip.

REALM 02-20-2012 09:42 PM

I thought about the flat black looking cheap, but then I noticed the white SEMA offroad GC had a flat dark black/grey so figured I'd try it and see. Haven't decided 100% if I'll leave it on or not, but so far I'm liking it.

tri0829 02-20-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 577823)
The flat black against the gloss body makes it look cheap, IMHO. However, I am interested to hear how it holds up. I know a lot of people use the Plasti-dip for wheels and trim pieces with much success. :thumbsup:

they sell a glossifier now if your interested in giving it some shine havent tried it yet myself but i think once summer comes around and i take my winter wheels off ill spray them with the glossifier, definitely a good thing to use on something like a grill i would think.

Dabitz 02-21-2012 11:31 AM

Now if I get a bull bar with lights and plastidip both the grill and bar... hmmmm

Where do you buy this stuff anyway?

08Hemi 02-21-2012 01:09 PM

I like it...IMO it matches the lower plastic trim on your front bumper...the color looks exact to me based on your first pic.

REALM 02-21-2012 02:40 PM

08Hemi,

Good catch and great point, it is an exact match to those lower pieces. The longer I have it the more I like it, and so far not a scuff to be found.

Now to buy some more rims/tires to go with the change, because my 17 stockers are killing me. :)

Megatron 02-21-2012 02:57 PM

looking good, I love plasti-dip haha