Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Possible to rent 2012 JGC Overland for a week?? Help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/possible-to-rent-2012-jgc-overland-for-a-week-help-37632.html)

Jamesla30 02-20-2012 03:12 PM

Possible to rent 2012 JGC Overland for a week?? Help

I am interested in buying a JGC Overland in the near future... probably the end of this year. I am going to need a couple rental cars in the next several months for a few weeks at a time. Is it possible to somehow rent a 2012 overland specifically from any of the rental car companies? Hertz, Budget, etc? Or is it even possible to do this anywhere? Dealer maybe?

I know most rental companies have grand cherokees, but i suspect alot of them will be earlier models or laredos. I would really like to rent a 2012 overland so I can get a feel for exactly what I would be driving.

Let me know if you guys can help!!

Thanks

Willir2 02-20-2012 03:49 PM

Re: Possible to rent 2012 JGC Overland for a week?? Help

If you talk to a dealer they may be able to arrange something. I have heard of people doing a weekend "test drive" So I'm sure it is possible.

SW03ES 02-20-2012 06:44 PM

Probably not an Overland. The only rental WK2s I've seen are Laredo Es.

1200RT-P 02-20-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 577951)
Probably not an Overland. The only rental WK2s I've seen are Laredo Es.

x2. If you have a VERY cool dealer, they may loan you a demo (driven by a GM or something) - but this is a slim chance.

I couldn't find a Hemi to rent, so i test drove a Hemi a few times and rented a base Laredo to get a feel for the daily use of the car - blind spots, interior space, etc.

canis 02-22-2012 10:58 AM

I rented a WK2 Limited from Enterprise (though it had the v6).

Chriswelters 02-22-2012 11:32 AM

There are dealers out there that will let you take a vehicle for a day that I know of. My dealer let me test drive the summit for a Day

NHman 02-22-2012 11:37 AM

I agree with some of the previous posts, ask the dealer for an extended test drive. Whether 24 hrs or a few (hours). The usual rental locations would have a Laredo trim with the V6.

jeep2011 02-22-2012 07:34 PM

A year ago enterprise here in town had overlands for rent. So it is possible to find them.

Jeeters 02-22-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 579058)
I rented a WK2 Limited from Enterprise (though it had the v6).

I almost rented a Limited from National Car Rental once, so they have them too.

AbqVic 02-24-2012 07:43 PM

I rented several specific cars before deciding to buy a new GC Summit V8. It was not possible to reserve a specifc car from any of the off or on airport rental companies. They could reserve a category, but not a specific make within the category.

In December of 2010, once I began to see the new '11 GC's in the rental line up, I ended up going to each counter at my airport (ABQ) to see which companies had them in their fleet. Then, on the day when I was able to rent, I looked in the line up to see if any GC's were available. If I saw one, I then went in to see if I could rent that specific car. Agents told me I would have my best luck early in the morning, before most of the fleet was rented to people with reservations.

I was lucky to rent a Limited, but it was a V6. That was OK to get the feel of the car and confirm that I didn't want a V6. Ended up buying the Summit V8 4x4 in Mineral Gray. It's mainly the wife's car and we are both very happy with it after 20K miles in less than a year.

jgc4ever 02-24-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbqVic (Post 580875)
I rented several specific cars before deciding to buy a new GC Summit V8. It was not possible to reserve a specifc car from any of the off or on airport rental companies. They could reserve a category, but not a specific make within the category.

In December of 2010, once I began to see the new '11 GC's in the rental line up, I ended up going to each counter at my airport (ABQ) to see which companies had them in their fleet. Then, on the day when I was able to rent, I looked in the line up to see if any GC's were available. If I saw one, I then went in to see if I could rent that specific car. Agents told me I would have my best luck early in the morning, before most of the fleet was rented to people with reservations.

I was lucky to rent a Limited, but it was a V6. That was OK to get the feel of the car and confirm that I didn't want a V6. Ended up buying the Summit V8 4x4 in Mineral Gray. It's mainly the wife's car and we are both very happy with it after 20K miles in less than a year.

That's a beautiful trim level and color choice you got! I'm sure you know.

scittb 02-25-2012 06:18 AM

I did the same thing. Went counter to counter. GOing to be a year next month with my mineral gray summit. Still get compliments from people I don't know!