Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Oil Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/oil-change-37694.html)

cmk74 02-21-2012 10:47 PM

Oil Change

I now have 2500 miles on my jeep and it's telling me the oil needs changing. Is this normal? I understand the first one is important as all the mechanicals have worn in and there may be fine particles in the system. In the future I hope the synthetic will last longer than that. Anyone know what this oil change will cost me?
On that note I got this warranty thing that covers like three oil changes but not if you have an SRT8 that uses synthetic. Why would they send this to me if I can't use this? I've already paid more for my car than most other Chrysler buyers and now they stiff me on oil changes that others are able to get just because they don't require synthetic. They should go out of their way to service their highest paying customers. SRT owners are an elite group that should be serviced that way. Just my $.02.

mlarco52 02-21-2012 10:54 PM

Re: Oil Change

According to the engineers at SRT in the chat session the first oil change will come faster than normal and than after that resume to normal indicators. Mine came up at 2300 miles or so and I'm getting it changed this coming weekend it will probably be 2500 miles.

Mongoose9400 02-21-2012 11:24 PM

Did my first at 300 miles. Got 3700 miles on the new oil now. Also, the oil system is duty based on many factors. Not just a set distance.

Sent from my iPad 3G

johnpassantino1 02-22-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk74 (Post 578853)
I now have 2500 miles on my jeep and it's telling me the oil needs changing. Is this normal? I understand the first one is important as all the mechanicals have worn in and there may be fine particles in the system. In the future I hope the synthetic will last longer than that. Anyone know what this oil change will cost me?
On that note I got this warranty thing that covers like three oil changes but not if you have an SRT8 that uses synthetic. Why would they send this to me if I can't use this? I've already paid more for my car than most other Chrysler buyers and now they stiff me on oil changes that others are able to get just because they don't require synthetic. They should go out of their way to service their highest paying customers. SRT owners are an elite group that should be serviced that way. Just my $.02.

Just got mine changed last week at the 2500 mile mark. They warned me it would be expensive but it has to be done and I'm not changing my own. Long story short it was about $100. And yes everyone I know that's a lot and I should change my own blah blah blah...I'd rather pay someone.

GirlyJ07 02-22-2012 11:06 AM

I take mine to get it changed every 4000 miles.... But my first was at 3000 and for the first 6 months I did it that way! But then the dealer told me that I could like wait for 6000 miles so I split it between!

MikeD 02-22-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

They should go out of their way to service their highest paying customers. SRT owners are an elite group that should be serviced that way. Just my $.02.

Are you serious? I don't care if you bought a $20K Patriot or a $68k SRT, you should be treated at the same level regardless.

gokart508 02-23-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

They should go out of their way to service their highest paying customers. SRT owners are an elite group that should be serviced that way. Just my $.02.

Very douche...

cmk74 03-06-2012 02:41 PM

Finally got my oil changed and guess what? The first one was complimentary. No charge. I was impressed the dealer did that. I did however question weather or not they used synthetic oil. The service manager said that they did. The service report shows Performance Pennzoil and Filter change and lube. The total would have been $36. This seems very cheap for a synthetic change. Anyone know the oil code? Oil 5W40 #5127394PB was on my invoice.

Mongoose9400 03-06-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk74 (Post 587864)
Finally got my oil changed and guess what? The first one was complimentary. No charge. I was impressed the dealer did that. I did however question weather or not they used synthetic oil. The service manager said that they did. The service report shows Performance Pennzoil and Filter change and lube. The total would have been $36. This seems very cheap for a synthetic change. Anyone know the oil code? Oil 5W40 #5127394PB was on my invoice.

Price sounds off. I've been having the dealer change my oil the past years and it's always around $100 for Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-40 ~7 quarts.

Have you tried just googling that part number yet?

MikeH 03-06-2012 09:39 PM

Shouldn't it have been 0W40? I think my oil change was round $80.

cmk74 03-07-2012 04:32 PM

I googled it and someone on the Challenger Forum had the same question. The same oil was used on his and is Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. The guy called the dealer and they said that was the recommended oil to use. I also checked the price per quart and it is about $7. Mobile one is also about the same price. So I would trust the dealer knows what is correct and is now charging accordingly. Synthetic is now more common and dealers are no longer gouging for the better oil. If you are paying more you might want to ask why.

Mongoose9400 03-07-2012 04:47 PM

I know my oil change cost at the dealer fluctuates some with oil prices. Some dealers don't stock the Mobil 1 so it needs to be ordered in. A quick google search yields a price per quart on Mobil1 at $8.49x7 quarts = $59.43. So I'm usually in from $60-70 at oil alone. What's a filter like $10. Plus dealer labor cost. Comes in around $100 give or take. Price depends on location as well.

You'd like to think the dealer knows what they are doing. It's not always the case. How many people have had issues with dealers wanting to put transmission fluid in the SRT8 transfer case and not the NV146 fluid. I know I've had to stop them before. I travel a lot with my job. So I've had experiences with dealerships across the nation. I've told one or two to f*ck off and they don't know what they are talking about.