Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Help Please: Rear Rotor Won't Budge (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/help-please-rear-rotor-wont-budge-37739.html)

Ypahihi 02-22-2012 07:07 PM

Help Please: Rear Rotor Won't Budge

Had to drill out wheel lug nut stud to get wheel nut off.
Now, I cannot get rear rotor off to complete repairs.

Calipers are off, parking brake disengaged. Feels like the rear rotors are held on by more than the normal rust.

I have tried love taps with a hammer (repeatedly), penetrating oil and heat.

Have I missed anything?:confused:

Trying not to pay for the repairs if possible.

Scottina06 02-22-2012 07:15 PM

Re: Help Please: Rear Rotor Won't Budge

the WK's have a small rubber ring that hold them on....maybe the same with the wj?

cheapjeep 02-22-2012 07:54 PM

I kind of doubt it on a 2000 but if they are the original rotors there may still be those flat tin keeper nuts on 2 of the studs so the rotor wont fall off on the assembly line. The rotors are a bitch though no matter what. Also another thing to try is backing off the emergency brake a bit. Sometimes the shoes won't let the rotor come off because there is a ridge created on the inner drum edge.

TJXJWJ 02-22-2012 07:59 PM

No love taps buddy....you've got to beat the $hit out of it. At least that's what I had to do. I took those press-on assembly line keepers off with a pair of needlenose, sprayed PB between the holes and the studs and let it work, then went around the rotor with a ball peen until it started to rattle. It took a LOT to get them loose. That was after backing off the e-brake at the adjuster. I had the same issue with an 06 Libby I did a few months back.
Before you install the new parts, I like to smear a little anti-seize where the wheel will contact the rotor and where the rotor contacts the spindle. Clean it all really well with a wire brush and dab a little on so you don't have this issue again in the future.
Anything with an inner e-brake drum is going to usually be a whore to remove.

2005JGC 02-23-2012 12:31 AM

You may be looking at new rotors...

There are a couple things to consider, first being, is is budging at all or is it just solid on the axle flange... if this is the case then Tony has it exactly right, it takes more than love taps, and penetrating oil is a must some times, if I have a car severely rusted I pop the wheels off and spray the rotor hats down with rust penetrant before I do anything else. from there my large dead blow is put to work. Many times it is just a love tap that is all it needs, but when it doesn't it needs the wrath of god tap.

Secondly, if they do budge and there is just something that is still holding one but consider this... I cannot remember what it was but I have had one that the ebrake assembly (the rotor hat) was so rusted and scaled that litterally the ONLY way it came off was prying until it pulled the ebrake shoe retainer through the backing plate. Pretty uncommon around these parts as we dont salt the roads or anything, vehicles stay mostly rust free. This vehicle clearly came from somewhere else.

If this is the case you may want to try popping the rubber cover off the backing plate and loosening the star adjuster all you can.

Ypahihi 02-23-2012 11:58 AM

Thanks everybody for the info.
Umm, I have been using a 12lb sledge hammer for the love taps.
There is no budging at all and the heat only managed a fine line to appear. I again drenched the area in home made penetrating oil (50/50 mix WD40 and ATF)
I will loosen off the handbrake adjuster and try again in the morning.
I have seen on the WK forum that people have used the caliper bolts as a sort of screw in wedge and then given it a love tap to unseat the rotor.
Kind of hoping that the combination of loosing the adjuster and caliper bolts will do the trick.
Stay tuned for tomorrows results...:)

jlewissystem 02-23-2012 12:14 PM

Maybe let it soak in PB Blaster? I've had to beat mine before, while rotating - good luck!!

Ypahihi 02-24-2012 05:02 AM

Success :D

Thanks again everyone for your input.
Found that you cannot use the calliper bolts as a wedge as the rotor cover partially covers the hole.
However; loosened off the adjuster after lots of swearing, an old chisel used as a wedge between the calliper housing and the rotor, the trustee sledge hammer, the odd love tap and a bit of action with a mini crowbar and it eventually let go.
Old lug bolt out, new lug bolt on and new brakes shoes ordered to arrive with the new rotors and disc pads.

Thanks again all

TJXJWJ 02-24-2012 07:55 AM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JeepMe 02-28-2012 08:09 PM

My front rotors were seized on when I changed them. Even after heat and PB blaster, I had a sledge and hammered on it while rotating and it still wouldn't budge. I took a ball joint separator and hammered it between the rotor and steering knuckle. The rotor deflected a good 1/2"-3/4" before I removed the fork, rotated the rotor, and did it again. Had to do it 4 times before it broke loose.

That will be my go-to for the rears if they're a big problem.