Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/sub-enclosure-to-dampen-or-not-to-dampen-3774.html)

TimmyB 11-02-2009 06:41 PM

Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
I finally got around to carpeting my sub enclosure i've had in my WK for awhile now, its in my basement sanded and ready for carpet. I added some 1"x1" bracing along the corners last night. I happen to have some egg crate foam laying around and just googled if its a good idea to line the inside of the enclosure with it, and so far I have heard it is good for standing waves and I should notice a difference if i install it. Anyone on here have any experience with dampening the inside of there sub enclosure? They also say adding the foam will make the box appear "bigger" to the sub. Im running a JL 10W6v2 in a basic square (not 100% square but it doesnt have any of the sides slanted) sealed enclosure built exactly to the spec sheet dimensions I got with the sub. Need to know asap, about to head to the basement and finish....:D

Teh Jeep 11-02-2009 07:44 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
Adding anything to the inside of an enlcosure will decrease airspace. What I do is put some weatherstripping between the sub and the MDF when mounting it.

blackpepper 11-02-2009 07:53 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
^^ good info, great screen name :lol:

Denny boy 11-02-2009 08:08 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
i use foam to make the enclosure size perfect for the sub. I read on diyma that you shouldn't deaden the sub if you mean something like dynomat or something. some guys make the enclosure a little over sized and put closed cell foam in it and they say that it makes it a little deeper but i can't notice a difference with my experiences. i use the weather stripping in between the sub and enclosure an i seal the inside with fiberglass to keep it air tight. IMO don't deaden it.

Matt 11-02-2009 08:24 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
Deadening the enclosure (inside or out) shouldn't have an impact on resonance. 3/4" stock (MDF or any dense wood) is plenty dense for a sub woofer being powered with less than 1000 watts. If you have any large faces then I would definitely suggest using internal bracing to help with those faces resonating. Be sure to account for airspace.

Here's a good read: click me

Teh Jeep 11-02-2009 10:39 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
The only time some type of material should be put inside an enclosure is to drop the airspace. Many times this is used when making a fiberglass enclosure because its very hard to get the specs right. A good practice is to make the enclosure bigger this way you can always decrease the airspace. You can NEVER increase airspace after the enclosure has been built. But then again, fiberglass enclosures arent meant for large subwoofers. Sealing all inside edges with silicon will help as well.

Matt 11-02-2009 10:42 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Jeep (Post 91587)
The only time some type of material should be put inside an enclosure is to drop the airspace. Many times this is used when making a fiberglass enclosure because its very hard to get the specs right. A good practice is to make the enclosure bigger this way you can always decrease the airspace. You can NEVER increase airspace after the enclosure has been built. But then again, fiberglass enclosures arent meant for large subwoofers. Sealing all inside edges with silicon will help as well.

Polyester fiberfill :thumbsup:

B.P.O.D 11-02-2009 10:43 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
deading a box is always a good idea from the inside b/c you will get better sound coming out of it. same applies when you make a sub for your home theater as well. trust me on this one. this is what my dad and i used for our sub box...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=268-268

Teh Jeep 11-02-2009 10:45 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
Negative. Im not calling you out, but what leads you to believe you get better sound? The cone isnt on the inside, its on the outside. Therefore, when the bass hits, the cone is moving on the OUTSIDE, not the inside. Thats why damping material is used between the enclosure and the subwoofer itself so it doesnt rattle off the carpet or MDF.

B.P.O.D 11-02-2009 10:52 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
correct we applied that material to the entire box before we put on the sub or amp

Matt 11-02-2009 10:52 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 91594)
deading a box is always a good idea from the inside b/c you will get better sound coming out of it. same applies when you make a sub for your home theater as well. trust me on this one. this is what my dad and i used for our sub box...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=268-268

Irf, you are wrong my man. Sound deadner on the inside of an enclosure does nothing for the rear wave. If you are using deadner on the inside of an enclosure you either have crappy/thin wood or money to burn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Jeep (Post 91596)
Negative. Im not calling you out, but what leads you to believe you get better sound? The cone isnt on the inside, its on the outside. Therefore, when the bass hits, the cone is moving on the OUTSIDE, not the inside. Thats why damping material is used between the enclosure and the subwoofer itself so it doesnt rattle off the carpet or MDF.

This is also wrong. A sub woofer (or any speaker for that matter) has a front and a back wave. That's why people can invert mount a sub and there will be no difference in sound (may induce mechanical noise though). Just cause one side of the cone looks all pretty doesn't mean that's the side that sounds best.

Teh Jeep 11-02-2009 10:55 PM

Re: Sub Enclosure-To Dampen or not to Dampen?
 
I agree. But were we talking about invert mounting? 3/4'' MDF is plenty thick!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community