Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2nd Water Pump/Leather Seats/Rattle/HVAC Whine (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2nd-water-pump-leather-seats-rattle-hvac-whine-37751.html)

wvujeep 02-22-2012 11:51 PM

2nd Water Pump/Leather Seats/Rattle/HVAC Whine

Ok. First off..I LOVE my GC Overland Summit. Yes, the problems have been irritating, but it is a first-year run of a new design and I expected little stuff like this. So, I'm cool.

But, with that said..I figured I would post what is going on with my baby.
  1. At approx 43K miles I'm getting my SECOND water pump replacement on my HEMI. My first replacement was at approx 18K. It is the same problem both times...squirting small amounts of coolant out at various times. Basically a slow leak.
  2. My leather seats are wearing WAY too fast and are upholstered way too loose. So loose, in fact, that the wrinkles are now wearing as faded streaks!
  3. My HVAC whines in the passenger floorboard area and the dealer has tried for about 30K miles now to fix it. No dice. Still whines.
  4. Same with the rattle in the vicinity of my driver's rear view mirror when she's up to about 70 moh. The dealer has claimed, over the past 30K miles or so, that they can't reproduce it, but won't let ME take them for a drive!
I have called Jeep Customer Service today and had a trouble ticket started and I'm supposed to be called back in the next day or two after they talk to the dealer. We'll see where that goes.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar problems to ANY of these listed. I'm also worried ALOT about the water pumpo issue. I have NO IDEA what could be causing that one.

Any comments or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

jp467 02-23-2012 12:22 AM

Re: 2nd Water Pump/Leather Seats/Rattle/HVAC Whine

43K miles might be about the highest on this forum. Just curious have you had any air suspension problems? I have not heard of any water pump problems with the Hemi.

wvujeep 02-23-2012 07:34 PM

Actually hit 44K today. Lol. I'm an attorney and do my own abstracting for my real estate closings and travel all over WV daily.

My air suspension, in the VERY BEGINNING, had to be calibrated twice, but no problems at all since then. It was telling me to get service on air suspension and they said it was simply a calibration issue.

AAAA 02-24-2012 10:53 AM

You certainly have the right vehicle for travelling around WV. I was there once and remember the steep hills, then valleys over and over. Also I think it was WV where I had my first and last experience with 3.2 beer!

How much louder are the A/T tires over the stock tires? Thanks.

tnjeep 02-24-2012 12:01 PM

I am also interested in how your BF's are doing on the jeep (sorry to threadjack). I had those on my Tacoma and really liked them, good mileage and handled the snow pretty good.

Jeeters 02-24-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvujeep (Post 579566)
[*]At approx 43K miles I'm getting my SECOND water pump replacement on my HEMI. My first replacement was at approx 18K. It is the same problem both times...squirting small amounts of coolant out at various times. Basically a slow leak.

I believe Chrysler is notorious for failed water pumps. My Liberty went through two of them. A guy I work with had two Chrsysler minivans; each had water pump replacement. There's even a youtube video somebody did showing how to replace a Liberty's water pump.

wvujeep 02-25-2012 12:35 AM

LOVE the BF's. Yeah, a bit louder on the interstate, but not enough to take away from the vicious wet traction, more-than-ample trail capability, and great snow traction. And I'm getting UNBELIEVABLE tread life. They handle just a tad under a pure Radial, but still way good enough for my uses.

Funny tidbit about the WK2 that I enjoy...When they were field-testing the new design a year or so before release, one of the main test cities was Morgantown, WV - Where I LIVE. And let me tell ya, she's like a duck in water driving around on the steep hills and crazy traffic in Morgantown. Kind of like she was "born" for it. Lol.

Still no joy on receiving a call from Jeep or the dealer. I guess I will wait until about noon on Monday and call them back at Jeep Customer Service.

rich mac 02-26-2012 09:06 PM

Did you have the plugs replaced at 30K? If so, did you notice any performance difference before and after? What did it cost for the plug change?

wvujeep 03-03-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 581999)
Did you have the plugs replaced at 30K? If so, did you notice any performance difference before and after? What did it cost for the plug change?

Yes. Had full dealership tune-up. Was $225.00 for the new plugs, filters, fluids, etc..

Didn't really notice a change. She's always ran great and strong.....just goes through water pumps for some reason.

2005JGC 03-05-2012 06:34 PM

I had a coworker who resolved a rattle from the rear view mirror area by taking a piece of vacuum hose, cutting a slit down 1 wall down the length of the hose, remove the shroud on the mirror and place the vacuum hose over the edge that is near the glass (when installed). Before you go freaking out on how horrible this is or how ghetto this sounds, this customer was STOKED, furthermore he was picking up a 12' that he didnt want to pick up until he performed the same thing to that one... he lives 60mi away or so from the dealer and didnt want to make another trip. He was very happy and according to the tech id didnt look half bad either.

I wish I had some better info, I didnt perform the repair though.