Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Finally got around to painting my wheelzz (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/finally-got-around-to-painting-my-wheelzz-37771.html)

raider91e 02-23-2012 12:06 PM

Finally got around to painting my wheelzz

Just painting my wheels after debating to do it for such a long time...i plastidipped them without taking the wheels off and used multiple light coats to prevent drips and sags...sorry about the picture quality...i'll be uploading more pics later...let me know what you guys think!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...68138751_n.jpg

Scottina06 02-23-2012 12:11 PM

Re: Finally got around to painting my wheelzz

that looks pretty good!

trent88 02-23-2012 06:04 PM

looks pretty good! i have same wheels and i hate the look of them, looking into some factory reps 20" or 22" love the overland wheels too but there pretty spendy

raider91e 02-23-2012 06:20 PM

^ im fine with the 18's...i had the nonpolished alum wheels and they weren't too bad. but when i painted them all black, they look a lot better on the car (IMHO). i love the overland wheels too, but i think if i had them, i'd still paint them black. i've seen a member here who painted their overland wheels black and it looks great. for now i'm happy with the 18's. i'll be taking better pictures over the weekend when i get down and dirty washing and claying the car and cleaning the wheels.

Discount80 02-24-2012 10:32 AM

I have same setup, what did you use to prevent spray hitting the brakes and such?

jmckenna 02-24-2012 10:38 AM

I like

DAVY27 02-24-2012 02:17 PM

very nice!

raider91e 02-24-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount80 (Post 580517)
I have same setup, what did you use to prevent spray hitting the brakes and such?

I used thick gift wrapping paper. Instead of balling it up and stuffing it between the spokes, what I did was I laid it over the opening between the spokes and pushed it through. When all of the paper was through the opening, I just opened it back up and covered as much surface area of the rotors and calipers as I could. It's a lot better than stuffing the openings between the spokes with crumpled paper because its more uniform and its more stable---i didnt even have to use tape to hold it in place. As for the tires, I used blue painter's tape...did the trick just fine.

raider91e 02-24-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 580668)
very nice!

thanks Davy...i like those SRT reps...did you get those painted or did you paint them yourself too?

Discount80 02-25-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raider91e (Post 580825)
I used thick gift wrapping paper. Instead of balling it up and stuffing it between the spokes, what I did was I laid it over the opening between the spokes and pushed it through. When all of the paper was through the opening, I just opened it back up and covered as much surface area of the rotors and calipers as I could. It's a lot better than stuffing the openings between the spokes with crumpled paper because its more uniform and its more stable---i didnt even have to use tape to hold it in place. As for the tires, I used blue painter's tape...did the trick just fine.

Ok now I am really confused lol. Laid paper over the spokes and pushed it through? So you mean one piece per wheel opening? Also did you paint the inner hub? Have any close up pics?

Slckevin 02-25-2012 12:56 AM

Looks great... I plan on plasti-dippin my rims once it gets warmer.

raider91e 02-25-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discount80 (Post 580993)
Ok now I am really confused lol. Laid paper over the spokes and pushed it through? So you mean one piece per wheel opening? Also did you paint the inner hub? Have any close up pics?

lol...no you understood it correctly....one piece per wheel opening. i taped the lugs and the chrome jeep circle in the middle. I didnt paint the inner hub and i didnt paint the inside of the rim seeing as though you don't really see it anyway...i'll be posting more pictures after the weekend once i get it washed