Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Easy fix for "blinding" too bright headlight indicator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/easy-fix-for-blinding-too-bright-headlight-indicator-37821.html)

mixer440 02-23-2012 11:51 PM

Easy fix for "blinding" too bright headlight indicator

The brightness of the headlight indicator bothers a lot of people....and you can't dim it with the light control.

Some people have used black tape and "Sharpie" markers to blot it out.

What I did was to get hold of some lighting gel. Gel's are used by most production lighting companies to add color to production lighting (studio/stage/outdoor). Just look in any phone book for stage lighting or lighting systems and equipment (these are the people who light outdoor concerts). The place I went to just gave me the gels I wanted to try.

Gels are thin, lightweight and come in a myriad of colors, including white. I found that using dark blue did the trick. I cut out a small postage sized piece, applied a bit of spit and "stuck" it right over the indicator lamp. It's non-permanent and blends right in.

cmiller 02-24-2012 06:39 PM

Re: Easy fix for "blinding" too bright headlight indicator

Got any pictures? I can't believe they let this get out in production like that. I first adjusted my steering wheel so it blocked the light but the wheel wasn't at a comfortable height so I raised it back.

mixer440 02-24-2012 07:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I see what I can do to post an image. But, believe me: You can't see the thin gel in the daytime (it's paper thin and only...maybe 1/2 x 3/8) due to the overhang and shadow.

At night (or when you have the lights on) the gel cuts down the brightness by greater than 50%, which depends on the color of gel you use. Non-permanent, so if you want more or less brightness, then you use a different color.

1st Image taken with no light, overcast day, exposed for the dash
2nd Image with light on (in the dark the illumination would be brighter)
3rd Image of pieces of gel. I found the darkest (dark blue/purple) to work the best. But there are lots more colors and degrees of blocking light. Colors can be somewhat additive.

ibcenu 02-25-2012 12:52 AM

how hard is it to get behind the plastic cover and put the film over the headlight indicator?

mixer440 02-25-2012 01:46 AM

It's on top, not behind.

KevInSoCal 02-27-2012 01:28 PM

Pretty cool, great mod, thanks for posting :)

joseph.l.dantonio 03-04-2012 04:12 PM

i put the steering wheel a particular height and it blocks this

frog_a_lot 03-04-2012 07:35 PM

You guys really find the light that much of a problem?

I dont even notice it, definitely not that much of an issue

Geep2013 12-20-2012 06:54 PM

I found those lights to be annoying too. I had some limo tint laying around so I cut two small pieces and put it over the lights. Now you can see the light when there on but the glare from them is gone.

Yadkin 12-20-2012 07:19 PM

It's worse in Fords. I've owned lots of cars and none of them use the dash circuit to dim that darn light. Why the F not? :mad:

LOL on using spit as glue. :lol:

eibyer 12-20-2012 07:43 PM

Sheesh now that I read this thread it will start bothering me :-P