Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   kicker audio upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/kicker-audio-upgrade-3786.html)

KidFresh5.7 11-03-2009 09:52 AM

kicker audio upgrade

I currently have the boston acousitc system in my '05 GC, I just installed the kicker amp upgrade and saw a very noticable improvement. Has anyone replaced the stock speakers with the kicker upgrades? worth it? Or should I just get some nice aftermarket Alpines for my doors.

B.P.O.D 11-03-2009 09:53 AM

Re: kicker audio upgrade

depending on how much they cost and what your price range is im guessing it's prob better to go aftermarket!

Matt 11-03-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 91780)
depending on how much they cost and what your price range is im guessing it's prob better to go aftermarket!

x2.

What's your price range?

Scottina06 11-03-2009 12:22 PM

well......I'm not an audio guru...but i replaced the amp and speakers and IMO it was a big difference. Plus shop around a little and the kicker speakers are pretty cheap.

KidFresh5.7 11-03-2009 01:20 PM

I'll spend whatever, i know the kicker are like 60, and the alpines i want 100-200. I dont mind paying, but I also dont need a crazy system. I just want to finish rounding it out to match the improved power of the new amp and was curious if the kicker speakers will show any improvement to even justify 60 for them. i also like that the kickers will just plug in factory, not that having to splice in an aftermarket is really a hassle.

Matt 11-03-2009 01:21 PM

Honestly, I'd just go with the Kickers. They'll be an improvement over the BA's as Scott mentioned. They're plug 'n play.

B.P.O.D 11-03-2009 01:31 PM

^x2 if you're not looking to go crazy go w/kicker

Matt 11-03-2009 01:34 PM

It's important to mention that the factory amp and the Kicker amp both use an internal crossover system that only sends high frequencies to your dash speakers, mid-low frequencies to your door woofers, full-range to your rear door speakers. So if you went with a coaxial 6x9 in the doors, you'd really only be taking advantage of the woofer and the tweeter would not be put to use. That's why the Mopar Kicker upgrade door speakers are only woofers and no tweeter is mounted to them. This is a good thing by the way - it helps create a balanced stage for your stereo.

B.P.O.D 11-03-2009 02:14 PM

^^^ good to know! wasn't aware of this

KidFresh5.7 11-03-2009 03:42 PM

Does anyone know if theres a max wattage diff between the BA and kicker? Specifically in the rear doors, just for jeeps says the kickers are 75 Watt RMS, 150 Watt Max, i was wondering if the BA's were less than this, i took one out of the rear door but it doesnt say anything on the back of it as far as I can see

Matt 11-03-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidFresh5.7 (Post 92031)
Does anyone know if theres a max wattage diff between the BA and kicker? Specifically in the rear doors, just for jeeps says the kickers are 75 Watt RMS, 150 Watt Max, i was wondering if the BA's were less than this, i took one out of the rear door but it doesnt say anything on the back of it as far as I can see

My guess would be yes, they are probably rated for lower power. Why?

KidFresh5.7 11-03-2009 03:48 PM

just curious, that seemed like one of easiest ways to compare speakers