Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   R1 Slotted Rotors and HPS Pads (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/r1-slotted-rotors-and-hps-pads-37964.html)

gargabot 02-26-2012 02:49 PM

R1 Slotted Rotors and HPS Pads

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I installed R1 Premium Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my WK. The install was very simple (for the pad swap I used a great "how-to" from this forum). I completed the bed-in procedure this morning, and the brakes feel great. I was expecting some minor noise from the HPS compound, but they're actually completely silent. The stopping power is noticeably improved over stock.

Also, the folks at R1 were extremely helpful in selecting the rotors and pads. I'll definitely shop there again when it's time to swap brakes on my Challenger.

Below are some pics of the new rotors, old rotors, and post-install.

antsjeep 02-28-2012 10:06 AM

Re: R1 Slotted Rotors and HPS Pads

they look great!! good job :thumbsup:

how many miles did you have on the stock setup? im an '08 with 47k and still running all factory pads/rotors.

gargabot 02-28-2012 01:15 PM

I only had 28k miles on the stock brakes, and they were already shuddering very bad. I previously had a 2003 Jeep Liberty, and those pads/rotors needed to be replaced around 30k and 60k for the same reason. That's why I decided to try a non-OEM set-up this time... to see if they'll last longer.

On s different note... after a few days of driving I'm getting concerned with the Hawk HPS pads. Once they're warmed up they brake very well, but when they're cold it takes a lot of pedal effort to stop. I've heard this is common in high performance pads, but it's more extreme than I was expecting.

Has anybody else tried the HPS pads? I'm wondering if others have noticed the same thing... and if the cold performance improves once they're fully broken-in.

08Hemi 03-22-2012 12:37 AM

I mad being told the theroquiets are the way to go on the pads...and since we have non SRT WK's what was the reasoning behind slotted only? I am getting seriously conflicting reports...how do you like your setup after a month? Thanks for the pics those are great looking rotors. Mind if I ask what the rotors only ran you?

gargabot 03-23-2012 09:12 AM

I'm actually liking the set-up much more after a month of break-in. The HPS pads are still awesome once they're warmed up. The cold performance is better, but still not as good as OEM. They are very quiet, which surprises me since I've read some complaints about HPS pads being noisy. I'm going to keep the pads installed for now, but I may eventually swap them out with some PosiQuiet Ceramics if the cold performance doesn't get any better.

I'm very happy with the rotors. R1 makes 2 types of rotors... e-line and premium. From what they told me, the premium rotors are coated for corrosion protection and also made out of a better material. Since I've had bad luck with OEM rotors warping after about 30k miles, I decided to splurge and get the premium rotors. I don't remember the cost, but I remember they were still cheaper than the OEM Jeep rotors.

Regarding slotted vs drilled rotors, I was advised that slots are great for normal street use since they sweep the pads clean and help prevent glazing, but the drilled rotors are more cosmetic since the actual benefits (heat removal) don't outweigh the negatives (reduced surface area for friction). I'm sure there are plenty of different opinions on this, but the rotors are performing great so I have no complaints there.

Rob07WK 03-23-2012 09:40 AM

Are the HPS pads ceramic?

lll2for3lll 03-23-2012 10:04 AM

I've actually read quite a few articles written by professional racer who say cross-drilled only is better for a daily driver. They say they slotted will only create a faster pad wear.

Scott has heard the same thing.

remmy 03-23-2012 10:47 AM

Those things are sweet. R1 is a sponsor right? If so I'll check them out as I was goin to pick up a set of slotted rotors from Frozen.

gargabot 03-23-2012 12:31 PM

The pads are made of a Ferro-Carbon compound. I also heard that slots can wear the pads faster, but I'm willing to try it once and see for myself.

Yadkin 03-23-2012 12:39 PM

I'm on my third set of rotors on what is now my Son's 04 Exploder. The last set lasted as long as two of the OEM type and are slotted and drilled, but they still warped. I'm thinking of buying Bosch QuietCast from O'reilly. He's got them in stock with a lifetime warranty.

lll2for3lll 03-23-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gargabot (Post 599351)
The pads are made of a Ferro-Carbon compound. I also heard that slots can wear the pads faster, but I'm willing to try it once and see for myself.

That's not a bad idea. Keep us updated because I keep hearing different things. More so that cross-drilled is better.

We need the guys from Top Gear to do a test on this subject. Seriously.

08Hemi 03-23-2012 01:35 PM

Well when the guy from R1 recommends something after I give him my preferences, and suggests that drilled-only is the setup to stay away from, I listen. Slotted was recommended, but I went with the dimples for a best-of-both-worlds as you get the look of a drilled but with no hole all the way through the rotor...now this is for stock replacements so maybe things change when you have the brembos/big brake kit. I know the majority of Porsches and AMG's my dad has owned have been drilled, some with slots some without. I will have them on in 2 weeks and let you guys know what I find...

But seriosuly we do need Top Gear to give us an answer!!!