Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Annoying Rattle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/annoying-rattle-37969.html)

06BJH 02-26-2012 04:55 PM

Annoying Rattle

Hi All,
I have a rattle that seems to be coming from behind the radio or RHS of the glove compartment. It is high up, just below the dash. It only is noticeable at low speed with very light acceleration (when driving up my driveway). Has anyone had this problem? :(

scarps 02-26-2012 06:06 PM

Re: Annoying Rattle

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06BJH (Post 581880)
Hi All,
I have a rattle that seems to be coming from behind the radio or RHS of the glove compartment. It is high up, just below the dash. It only is noticeable at low speed with very light acceleration (when driving up my driveway). Has anyone had this problem? :(

No cufflinks in your ash tray:-)

Gabs 02-26-2012 06:38 PM

I have something similar does it sound like something sliding back and forward? have told them about it as i am coming up to my 10k service they will look at it then so hopefully they will find it.

frog_a_lot 02-26-2012 06:53 PM

i did hear somthing other day, but wasnt sure if it was a rattle or just engine noise

06BJH 02-26-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarps (Post 581922)
No cufflinks in your ash tray:-)

Well done..... yes checked ashtray for cufflinks and removed all loose items from glovebox. Still there.

06BJH 02-26-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabs (Post 581933)
I have something similar does it sound like something sliding back and forward? have told them about it as i am coming up to my 10k service they will look at it then so hopefully they will find it.

Mine is a definate rattle...not a sound like something sliding back and forward. Unfortuneately I am a fair way off my 10k service. May have to drop it into the service dept to have a look for it as it is starting to annoy me. I have tried to get my hand up behind the radio and glovebox and see if I can feel anything or move something to stop it. Got a sore arm but didn't fix the rattle.

noahchanin 02-27-2012 09:22 AM

The wires behind the radio (the ones that go to the radio) just sort of hang back there. Possible that these (or other wires) are banging. Removing the radio to check these is not hard and it will let you peak in with a flashlight behind the rest of the dash. Pull the plastic fascia around the radio off (it's one large piece that goes all the way down to the storage area) and then remove 4 Philips screws to radio and slide it out. You can disconnect the wiring harnesses and put the radio off to the side. Maybe try to bundle these wires with a wire tie. Would also recommend you disconnect A/C controls from the plastic piece before you start working (easy - just clip on wiring harnesses) and put that piece in a safe place so it doesn't get scratched while you're working.

Mendo 02-27-2012 06:04 PM

i know how annoying a rattle can get.... hope you find the cause....don't let it end up like that supercheap ad where the guy pulls his whole front dash off to find some screws in the ashtray - glad you checked that already....

allypally 02-29-2012 04:22 AM

Before you pull anything apart, have someone sit in the passenger's seat and ask them to point to where they think the noise is originating from. Often in cars, you will get 2 seperate opinions to that noise, and by using cross referencing, you can sometimes better locate an annoying rattle.

F500 02-29-2012 05:24 AM

I've had rattles.

First: Check your sunglass holder. I put in a pair of sunnies, forgot about them, had mysterious rattles. Had my daughter point out the rattle from the passenger seat, removed the sunnies - rattle gone!

Second: When passenger seat was at lowest position and no one sitting in it, the wires underneath rattled. Passenger seat slightly up and rattle gone.

Third: When driving on corrugated dirt roads I got a seriously loud rattle from the instrument panel (well we all agreed that's where it came from). Back in the city, no rattle. As the car was full of camping gear it is difficult to say for sure that it didn't come from any gear - still wondering, maybe the radio wires as noahchanin experinced.

ekarabad 03-10-2012 04:02 AM

I have a rattle or vibration similar to what you describe which I have discovered is the hard thin plastic on top of the dash. hard to explain, its the piece that goes between where the padded dash top ends and the bottom of the windscreen. I can make the vibration stop by placing my hand on it so its definatly the cause. Plan to get it fixed at the first service due in 3000Kms.

ekarabad 03-10-2012 04:09 AM

I have a rattle or vibration similar to what you describe which I have discovered is the hard thin plastic on top of the dash. hard to explain, its the piece that goes between where the padded dash top ends and the bottom of the windscreen. I can make the vibration stop by placing my hand on it so its definatly the cause. Plan to get it fixed at the first service due in 3000Kms.