Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   wheel locks? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wheel-locks-37991.html)

Jdsmitty10 02-26-2012 10:17 PM

wheel locks?
 
How many of you guys/girls with the limited/overland 20's have wheel locks?

gomaximo 02-26-2012 10:33 PM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Unless you live in an unsafe area with high probability of wheels theft, is unecessary. waste of money :confused:

J13ntv 02-26-2012 11:27 PM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Mine were thrown in with the sale, and for only 40 dollars if you have to buy them, why not?

armoredsaint 02-26-2012 11:34 PM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gomaximo (Post 582074)
Unless you live in an unsafe area with high probability of wheels theft, is unecessary. waste of money :confused:

:rolleyes:

there's no such thing as a safe area anymore, I bet you depend on the cops to protect you when the SHTF?

and since you're from miami you should know better.:lol:

jp467 02-27-2012 01:56 AM

Re: wheel locks?
 
In my opinion wheel locks are a total waste. Any thief would know the key is normally in the glove box even though they don't really need the key to get the wheel lock off. My dealer puts them on everthing on the lot then charges 50 dollars for them. I would not let them put them on mine. To me they are nothing but a pain. Everytime you get you tires rotated you have to give them the key and make sure you get it back and it doesn't get lost. Wheel locks are nothing but a money making waste.

jeepgrady 02-27-2012 08:28 AM

Re: wheel locks?
 
My dealer included them. I disagree that it won't help you keep your wheels. It's a proven fact that anytime you can discourage a low life from hitting you, it helps. They will move on to an easier target.

jcnaranjo 02-27-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgrady (Post 582225)
My dealer included them. I disagree that it won't help you keep your wheels. It's a proven fact that anytime you can discourage a low life from hitting you, it helps. They will move on to an easier target.

Totally agree with you. My Summit came with mopar wheel locks on it...

Geevis 02-27-2012 09:05 AM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 582162)
In my opinion wheel locks are a total waste. Any thief would know the key is normally in the glove box even though they don't really need the key to get the wheel lock off. My dealer puts them on everthing on the lot then charges 50 dollars for them. I would not let them put them on mine. To me they are nothing but a pain. Everytime you get you tires rotated you have to give them the key and make sure you get it back and it doesn't get lost. Wheel locks are nothing but a money making waste.

Until you wake up one morning with your beautiful Jeep resting
precauriously on cinder blocks. I think it's worth the $40 for piece of mind.

ckehl2 02-27-2012 01:27 PM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgrady (Post 582225)
My dealer included them. I disagree that it won't help you keep your wheels. It's a proven fact that anytime you can discourage a low life from hitting you, it helps. They will move on to an easier target.

:thumbsup: Locks were included on my Overland

AAAA 02-27-2012 02:15 PM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Am biased against them for following reason. Many years ago dealer forgot to put the wheel lock key back in my wife's car after routine service. Fortunately I noticed and went back to the dealer. They "couldn't find" the key. Good thing we have a garage.
Also I do not hear of much wheel theft around here anymore. They just take the entire vehicle on a flatbed.

bbjrhome 02-28-2012 06:08 AM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Have had them on all my vehicles. Have never had wheels stolen, don't know if that's because I've had them or live in a "safe area" :D

What I do know is, I go into Boston a lot, I park in public, private hotel garages, I also park around the Fenway area and the North End. Over the years I've seen many vehicles loose their rims and tires. So it's not a matter of living in a particular place. I've also seen vehicles up at Hampton Beach NH missing wheels but I've never lost any wheels. I have had mine tampered with but never lost a single one.

Coincidence or possibly a special anti theft ghost watches over my cars? On 2nd thought, I'ts probably because there is somebody parked near me who don't have wheel locks, With that, I'll say thanks to those who don't use them :thumbsup:

Breitling65 02-28-2012 06:49 AM

Re: wheel locks?
 
Most likely will not be stolen, heavy tires and difficult to take out without good jack. They would always prefer to take wheels from cars like G37, Enkei made & expensive also car/wheels not as heavy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community