Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Back-up camera question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/back-up-camera-question-37994.html)

J-rod 02-26-2012 11:44 PM

Back-up camera question
 
So I recently purchased a gps unit that i can also use with a back-up camera. Tying to figure out how I tap into my reverse lights. I know I need to connect the camera's red wire to the white/lt green wire which is the reverse lights but i have no idea where to connect it in the harness. Also where does everyone connect the ground wire?? Pics/advice would help a tonnnn.

Also, off topic, someone wanna send me in the direction to become a jg supporter.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-26-2012 11:48 PM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
I have mine all wired to my radio so i dont know about the wires, but here is the supporter link

http://www.jeepgarage.org/payments.php

tri0829 02-27-2012 12:18 AM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
im no electrician so everything i did may not be the best way to do it. but i have the red wire hooked directly to the reverse light and i ran it in through the plug that leads to outside next to the taillight. i have it grounded to the bolt with a washer on it below what screws in the piece that holds the plastic part of the trunk liner in is , like the plastic part right in front of the trunklid. i also ran the wires from the camera behind the trim for the hinge outside and through the trunklid and then through the headliner then through the dash to the nav unit. i did this because removing the trim is a huge pain and you have to take the back seat out to remove the panel on the side to run the wire through it, it was way easier to remove the headliner... also fishing the red wire back into the car through that piece was a little tough but i did it so its doable haha

tom58 02-27-2012 06:36 AM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
your back up camera is normally controlled by the can bus

jp07blkE85 02-27-2012 07:51 AM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
If you have the tow package there is a harness running to the trailer plug. I tapped that one rather than the taillight itself. I ran the camera wiring by removing the taillight and running it up the resulting hole and then up and behind the trunk rubber molding, under the plastic molding. I haven't cleaned it up inside yet so it is just running around the cargo space, under the back seat, and under the floor mat.

J-rod 02-27-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 582120)
I have mine all wired to my radio so i dont know about the wires, but here is the supporter link

http://www.jeepgarage.org/payments.php

yeah i dont have a mygig and im wanting it to turn on when i put the jeep in reverse, thanks for the support link

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri0829 (Post 582129)
im no electrician so everything i did may not be the best way to do it. but i have the red wire hooked directly to the reverse light and i ran it in through the plug that leads to outside next to the taillight. i have it grounded to the bolt with a washer on it below what screws in the piece that holds the plastic part of the trunk liner in is , like the plastic part right in front of the trunklid. i also ran the wires from the camera behind the trim for the hinge outside and through the trunklid and then through the headliner then through the dash to the nav unit. i did this because removing the trim is a huge pain and you have to take the back seat out to remove the panel on the side to run the wire through it, it was way easier to remove the headliner... also fishing the red wire back into the car through that piece was a little tough but i did it so its doable haha

yeah i dont wanna jimmy rig it and just take the wire and mash it into the plug then reconnect it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom58 (Post 582182)
your back up camera is normally controlled by the can bus

its an aftermarket gps unit not the mygig

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp07blkE85 (Post 582208)
If you have the tow package there is a harness running to the trailer plug. I tapped that one rather than the taillight itself. I ran the camera wiring by removing the taillight and running it up the resulting hole and then up and behind the trunk rubber molding, under the plastic molding. I haven't cleaned it up inside yet so it is just running around the cargo space, under the back seat, and under the floor mat.

yeah i have the towing package. what wire did you tap into and will it turn the camera on when i put the jeep in reverse?

swing4terps 02-27-2012 06:19 PM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
What wiring harness are you using? Don't the instructions for the harness tell you what to connect? I used the PAC Audio and they spelled it out nicely.

J-rod 02-27-2012 11:16 PM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 582616)
What wiring harness are you using? Don't the instructions for the harness tell you what to connect? I used the PAC Audio and they spelled it out nicely.

its the same as any camera except i dont have the vehicle specific instructions. comes with the video cord and then the cord that plugs into the camera with the power and ground wire...just trying to figure out where exactly to connect the power and ground wire.

jp07blkE85 02-28-2012 02:17 PM

Re: Back-up camera question
 
there is a reverse wire in the tow harness. http://wkjeeps.com/trailer/trailer_pinout_wk_01.jpg
going into the 10 pin rear hitch connector, there is the reverse going to the backup lamp wire at pin 3 that is white and light green; you could use the connector directly by tacking a pin to the red wire on the camera and putting the pin in the conector, or splice the wire from the back under the bumper.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community