Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   going to do a lift...any advice? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/going-to-do-a-lift-any-advice-38015.html)

hmmmm16417 02-27-2012 03:58 PM

going to do a lift...any advice?

So I finally decided to lift the jeep a little bit. just for show as I do not do off-road driving really. I already have a little bigger tires on it (bridgestone Dueler A/T revo) and I just purchased a Rock Krawler x factor 3.5" lift. I know that it's actually only a 2" lift, but from what I've read it seems to be better...true? I got it brand new for $250, so i figured why not....
I'm hoping that this also levels out the front end a little as well....or do I need to add something to accomplish that ?

anyways, anyone have any experience with installation and / or tips on what to DO or NOT DO to avoid complications?

any advice would be helpful.

I'm hoping these don't sound like stupid questions.

:cool:

hmmmm16417 02-28-2012 06:39 AM

Re: going to do a lift...any advice?

nothing??

D_Money 02-28-2012 08:09 AM

I didn't do the same type of lift as you but it was a pretty smooth installation. The only problem I had was the strut fork bolt, on both sides. It took forever to get those out with every tool I had in the tool box. Mine had 50k miles on it as well when I did the lift.

antsjeep 02-28-2012 08:51 AM

For the money you could have just gotten the RC lift and saved $100, and still essentially get 2" of lift.

jp07blkE85 02-28-2012 12:45 PM

Sorry, I have the lift but didn't do the install, so no advice there.

It did lift the front a little for mine, but yes it is an equivalent to a 2" and a level if you are looking at it from a height perspective.

D_Money 02-28-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 582954)
For the money you could have just gotten the RC lift and saved $100, and still essentially get 2" of lift.

^^ That's the lift I did

hmmmm16417 02-29-2012 04:55 PM

ok, thanks for the responses. I'll let you know if I run into any snags. LOL

antsjeep 02-29-2012 05:00 PM

PB Blast all of the nuts/bolts the night before your install. Try to find and read every writeup you can on suspension installs. It helped me a ton when it came time to doing my install.

dsnow 03-01-2012 01:35 AM

Make sure you have a buddy to help out and spring compressors are extremely helpful. I have the RC 2" so idk how different it is but the back was a piece of cake. Took me 30 minutes, However the front is definitely a pain. I have an impact gun and a wide array of sockets which was extremely helpful taking stock bolts out and assuring that the new bolts were tight enough. I'd recommend doing it with air tools over hand tools for sure. Also youre going to have to move your coolant on the passenger side and your fuse boxes/battery on the drivers side to get to the strut studs under the hood. be careful with the fuse boxes because their clipped in and easy to snap. Hardest part about the front is getting the strut back into the well once you get the spacer on. Got to get it up under the ball joint and slide it in just right. Get a buddy to stand on the freehanging rotor to give you more room!
Hope this helps!

antsjeep 03-01-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnow (Post 584243)
Make sure you have a buddy to help out and spring compressors are extremely helpful. I have the RC 2" so idk how different it is but the back was a piece of cake. Took me 30 minutes, However the front is definitely a pain. I have an impact gun and a wide array of sockets which was extremely helpful taking stock bolts out and assuring that the new bolts were tight enough. I'd recommend doing it with air tools over hand tools for sure. Also youre going to have to move your coolant on the passenger side and your fuse boxes/battery on the drivers side to get to the strut studs under the hood. be careful with the fuse boxes because their clipped in and easy to snap. Hardest part about the front is getting the strut back into the well once you get the spacer on. Got to get it up under the ball joint and slide it in just right. Get a buddy to stand on the freehanging rotor to give you more room!
Hope this helps!

+1

hmmmm16417 03-08-2012 04:27 PM

I soaked all the bolts with PB blaster today. planning on doing it a few more times before the actual install :)

hmmmm16417 03-24-2012 07:17 PM

I soaked the bolts two more times over the past week. hopefully this helps. I have spring compressors, impact wrench, a buddy , and all day tomorrow. I think the biggest issue is going to be the realizing the jeep sits a couple inches higher. (she doesn't know about the lift yet!):lol:

oh, and I have access to big torches if needed :eek: