Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Got Smartbeam? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/got-smartbeam-38027.html)

AAAA 02-27-2012 08:45 PM

Got Smartbeam?
 
Do you find that the highbeams shut off below about 10 mph? I thought it was just stray light at intersections near my home, so I went out in the country and tried driving and stopping on a straight road. I saw nothing about this in the manual.

frog_a_lot 02-27-2012 09:00 PM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Yeah mine does the same

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-27-2012 09:02 PM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
smartbeam is a waste! it doesnt work as well as it should, i kept mine shut off all the time

jamesdomagalski 02-27-2012 09:46 PM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
I don't think it's a waste. I'm quite happy with it and use it all the time.

frog_a_lot 02-27-2012 09:58 PM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Only thing that annoys me is that to over ride it i got to change my headlights to ON rather than Auto, would be better if there was like 3 positions for high beams, off-on-auto

rubicontrail.net 02-28-2012 12:01 AM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesdomagalski (Post 582776)
I don't think it's a waste. I'm quite happy with it and use it all the time.

x2. I have it on my XK and like it.

Sparro 02-28-2012 12:14 AM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 582734)
smartbeam is a waste! it doesnt work as well as it should, i kept mine shut off all the time

Mine works real good and I don't consider it a waste.
It also deactivates at under 10 MPH too.

bbjrhome 02-28-2012 05:55 AM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Actually it's 20mph. I've tested and sure enough true to the 2012 Owners Manual they do activate/deactivate right at 20mph. See page 187 in the 2012 OM, "NOTE: This system will not activate until the vehicle is at or above 20 mph (32 km/h)."

I'm very happy with the performance, have not had a single person flash me indicating that I have my high beams on. In fact, I couldn't respond faster manually, they are very accurate/responsive.

peckmv 02-28-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 582734)
smartbeam is a waste! it doesnt work as well as it should, i kept mine shut off all the time


Agreed. Mine keep going on and off when no traffic coming at me. The street lights are being picked up and shutting off the high beams. They also don't adjust for hills as advertised. They are supposed to lower when cresting a hill so the beams don't hit the oncoming traffic in the eyes. It was standard on my Overland but I wouldn't get it as an option.:(

AAAA 02-28-2012 08:38 AM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjrhome (Post 582914)
Actually it's 20mph. I've tested and sure enough true to the 2012 Owners Manual they do activate/deactivate right at 20mph. See page 187 in the 2012 OM, "NOTE: This system will not activate until the vehicle is at or above 20 mph (32 km/h)."

I'm very happy with the performance, have not had a single person flash me indicating that I have my high beams on. In fact, I couldn't respond faster manually, they are very accurate/responsive.

Thanks to all. Mine is 2011 so speed of shut off may be different and it is not in manual. 20 mph is a too fast for it to shut down. I can live with 10 mph as it shuts down as you approach an intersection which might be seen as a safety thing (not me).

ryorde 02-28-2012 09:23 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with smart beam. It sounds me like you don't like the automatic high beam function. To be fair I don't like it either. It is a setting in the EVIC that can be disabled.


---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qjlerx

Sparro 02-28-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Got Smartbeam?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 582938)
Agreed. Mine keep going on and off when no traffic coming at me. The street lights are being picked up and shutting off the high beams. They also don't adjust for hills as advertised. They are supposed to lower when cresting a hill so the beams don't hit the oncoming traffic in the eyes. It was standard on my Overland but I wouldn't get it as an option.:(

You should bring yours in to the dealer to have it looked at. Mine works great. I was surprised how well it worked and recognizing street lights. When I go over hills and there is oncoming cars it knows and delays the high beams. Mine is 99% accurate. I love it!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community