Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Chipped up RIMS!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/chipped-up-rims-38034.html)

TJXJWJ 02-27-2012 09:54 PM

Chipped up RIMS!!!

OK, I'm probably over-thinking this like I do with most automotive related ventures of mine, but here goes nothin.

I run a set of chrome clad stock wheels in the winter. The chrome caps polish up great, but the wheel's lip looks like crap. They are winter wheels I really don't care about all that much, but it's in my nature to be ridiculous. So I'm thinking of painting just the lips black or silver. I don't want to do this every year, and since they are only ever really exposed to nasty winter weather, I need some recommendations on super durable paints for this.

It's going to take a hell of a lot of taping, but once I have just the lip clean, roughed up and exposed, what would you do with it?

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/.../wheelchip.jpg

Gus9890 02-27-2012 11:22 PM

Re: Chipped up RIMS!!!

For your winters I'd say since just the lips look like crap, do the lips in black. Or ya could do like a couple people I know and coated there's with rhino liner (they were drinking, workin on their trucks when they did it) lol

TJXJWJ 02-28-2012 08:34 AM

Yeah, I just want to address the lips...the rest of the "fantastic plastic" chrome actually cleans up really easily and is perfect for winter duty.

cheapjeep 02-28-2012 03:41 PM

I was gonna do something like that on mine because they were in the same condition. I was thinking black spray on bed liner because it has texture so you wouldn't have to get super critical sanding.

TJXJWJ 02-28-2012 08:56 PM

I was thinking bedliner too...or silver caliper paint maybe?

01grand 02-28-2012 09:18 PM

Yikes the taping on that isn't gonna be fun. I'd say caliper paint would be durable enough since on calipers it would have to live under similar conditions. Knowing your attention to detail it would turn out great too, but If you don't want to put too much effort into your winter rims the bed liner would be fairly easy and also very durable.

cheapjeep 02-28-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 583348)
I was thinking bedliner too...or silver caliper paint maybe?

I'd stick with black buddy. That way the lip kinda dissapears into the tire and all you see is chrome.

TJXJWJ 02-28-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 583357)
Yikes the taping on that isn't gonna be fun. I'd say caliper paint would be durable enough since on calipers it would have to live under similar conditions. Knowing your attention to detail it would turn out great too, but If you don't want to put too much effort into your winter rims the bed liner would be fairly easy and also very durable.

Yeah....dreading the tape job. I'm almost wondering if it would be less painful to do it with an artist's brush and a can of paint instead of spray.

TJXJWJ 02-28-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 583392)
I'd stick with black buddy. That way the lip kinda dissapears into the tire and all you see is chrome.

I think you're right...bedliner'd lip would disappear...which is exactly what I want it to do.

Gus9890 02-29-2012 12:52 AM

I think you'd only have to worry about the salt and that stupid "anti-icing" crap they dump on the roads (in PA it never seems to work lol) splashing up and maybe eating the paint off.

TJXJWJ 02-29-2012 07:51 AM

You'd think that in 2012, we'd have a better, non-corrosive way to take care of friggin ice....

Gus9890 02-29-2012 11:12 AM

There probably is but they'd want you to pay and arm and a leg to get some lol