Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Opinions on rear end crash and busting into flames hype (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/opinions-on-rear-end-crash-and-busting-into-flames-hype-38039.html)

99Wjlimited4.7 02-28-2012 12:41 AM

Opinions on rear end crash and busting into flames hype

Just curious as a new wj owner, what does everyone think about all this hype about the gas tank rupturing in a rear end collision?

01grand 02-28-2012 10:23 AM

Re: Opinions on rear end crash and busting into flames hype

I think its a lot of hype but there is some potential. However a lot of vehicles have gas tanks in the rear and its not a problem.

cheapjeep 02-28-2012 03:51 PM

Their alternative is a metal tank and you definitely don't want that on a WJ. It wouldn't last 2 years with all the crap that lays up there

TJXJWJ 02-28-2012 10:09 PM

Wanna know what I really think? I think it's a bunch of horse shiz. They didn't recall the XJ did they? Tank is in the same location.

Gus9890 02-29-2012 12:45 AM

It's just hype unless you go throwin a flamethrower kit on it, then that may up the chances of explosion.

99Wjlimited4.7 02-29-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 583403)
Wanna know what I really think? I think it's a bunch of horse shiz. They didn't recall the XJ did they? Tank is in the same location.

The xj is included in that I just failed to metion, I believe it's bull as well I just wanted to get others opinions on it and see what others thought.

TJXJWJ 02-29-2012 07:49 AM

Oh really?! I thought it was just the WJ for some reason. I remember hearing about this months ago. It's truly the case with most suv's. From what I remember reading, "they" were afraid of lower profile vehicles rear-ending our awesome WJ's and hitting the tank. I just don't understand how that's a viable concern when you can hit just about any suv from behind with a low profile car and have the same result.

Sir Bobby 02-29-2012 09:36 AM

I've got to agree with everyone else, and just say it's hype. But, I could be wrong. I would think the tank would do a number of things before rupturing. Then again, there's always a possibility. I'm now a little curious what the percentages are.

On the explosion front: If I remember correctly, gasoline has an even higher flash point than JP8 -- you could probably put your cigarette out in it.

But don't quote me on that... I did just watch Zoolander last week. It doesn't mean that we too, can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

Sir Bobby 02-29-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Bobby (Post 583609)
I've got to agree with everyone else, and just say it's hype. But, I could be wrong. I would think the tank would do a number of things before rupturing. Then again, there's always a possibility. I'm now a little curious what the percentages are.

On the explosion front: If I remember correctly, gasoline has an even higher flash point than JP8 -- you could probably put your cigarette out in it.

But don't quote me on that... I did just watch Zoolander last week. It doesn't mean that we too, can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

I mean Ignition Point... GOD, it's too early :p

01grand 02-29-2012 07:14 PM

I believed myth busters proved you could drop a lit cigarette into a pool of gas with no ignition. As the gas speeds though it could potentially ignite if there was a spark present but I think the circumstances would have to be just right to cause an explosion. Impact alone wouldn't do it.

cheapjeep 02-29-2012 07:32 PM

You know if Jeep and all the rest of them for that matter would put some real bumpers on the damn things instead of plastic and foam there wouldn't be an issue. At least I have my hitch back there for protection.

TJXJWJ 02-29-2012 08:46 PM

Exactly! Like the good ol' XJ and TJ, etc.