Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Somthing wrong with the electrical system? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/somthing-wrong-with-the-electrical-system-3808.html)

erleep 11-04-2009 12:14 PM

Somthing wrong with the electrical system?

OK so the other night i was coming home from the hospital with my son and my belt started squiling i didn't think any thing of it the next day i went out to leave for work and there is no squile in the belt but my alternator was not charging no i know what you are all going to say replace the belt but there is nothing wrong with it and it is tight i get it to work at the end of the day i go to go home and it will not start i have no power at all no lights no nothing it has don't this in the past but i thought nothing of it so i pop the hood wiggle the battery terminal (that is tight and i cant move at all ) and i get power the jeep start right up i start heading home i turn the radio on then i go to turn the heat on and when i do this my dash lights up like the fourth of July the check engine light abs break light you name it it came on i shut the heat off and all the lights go off i brought it to brikners up the road from me payed them 75.00 and they cant find anything wrong with it now here is the funny part this all happened last Sunday night and Monday morning the truck has not done this sinss then and is running great i am as a loss and cant find the problem do you guys have any ideas it is a 1993 grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 thanks so much

Scottina06 11-04-2009 12:42 PM

Re: Somthing wrong with the eletical

start with the simplest thing...the battery and alt. Have them checked at like advanced or autozone.

erleep 11-04-2009 03:00 PM

i had them checked and the charging system and battery are all ok i even went to three differnt places and had them check it out lol but they all say the same thing every thing seems to be working good

Denny boy 11-04-2009 03:37 PM

elder jeeps get ghost pretty much ik it sounds crazy but stuff like that JUST happens all the time. seems to happen with ZJ's more but it just happens. you say its good now, thats why i say it just happens. isn't much you can do until it happens again.

'00 UnLimited 11-04-2009 09:23 PM

Make sure that the battery terminals are free of corrosion and are makin a good connection. I had similar problems a few times when I had the Jeep. I eventually had to buy a new battery and when I did, I bought new wires and clamps too and the problems stopped, at least for a while I guess.:p

Denny boy 11-04-2009 10:05 PM

Re: Somthing wrong with the electrical system?

Battery ghost...... dun dun dun ide try what unlimited said might need it anyway atleast the terminals. can't go wrong with them.

erleep 11-05-2009 06:30 AM

thank you guys i pulled the positive cable off as that was the one that i had to wiggle around and it was all corroded so i went out and replaced the terminals and cleaned the battery post up every thing seems to me working good to far ill keep you all up dated

'00 UnLimited 11-05-2009 06:45 PM

^^^ exactly what I did when it happened to me, just keep an eye on them and keep 'em clean.

erleep 11-05-2009 11:24 PM

thanks for the info i didnt even think to check the battery at that point in time thank you