Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Wax smear on black plastic moldings (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/wax-smear-on-black-plastic-moldings-38116.html)

Mikey V 02-29-2012 02:02 PM

Wax smear on black plastic moldings

How do you get a wax smudge off the black moldings?!! I got a few on the fender moldings and nothing gets them off! Wax was Meguires liquid wax. I tried the wax remover fluid that body shops use on paint, no joy. Armor-All will hide them for a bit, but after a few rainfalls or washes, the cloudy smudges reappear. Anybody have a secret to share?

MikeBoom 02-29-2012 02:05 PM

Re: Wax smear on black plastic moldings

Back to Black usually does the trick. Available in most automotive stores.

JTP (WI) 02-29-2012 02:07 PM

This is going to sound stupid, but it works. A thin coat of peanut butter and then wipe off. May not be permanent, but it lasts for a quite a while. An old detailer trick!

MikeBoom 02-29-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTP (WI) (Post 583837)
This is going to sound stupid, but it works. A thin coat of peanut butter and then wipe off. May not be permanent, but it lasts for a quite a while. An old detailer trick!

It does work. The oils dissolve the wax. Other possibilities are isopropyl alcohol or vinegar.

nyc_medic 02-29-2012 03:39 PM

If you take your time and use light pressure a magic eraser will do the trick too. I also would suggest peanut butter works well.

Scottina06 02-29-2012 03:41 PM

wet a microfiber cloth with detailers spray or water and rub the area really hard and work it from different directions

kelvar13 02-29-2012 04:12 PM

+1 for peanut butter...

Scottina06 02-29-2012 04:16 PM

IMO...anything oily just reconstitutes the wax and doesnt remove it. Kinda hides it for a bit. Using the method I posted removed it from a few spots on my jeep.

RageOfFury 02-29-2012 05:00 PM

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser IS the thing to use to remove wax residue from plastic. I've tried all sorts of products before and they just masked the problem. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser actually removed the wax. Now be careful not to rub the paint with the Magic Eraser.

vnbWK2 02-29-2012 07:03 PM

Pour some Simple Green in a plastic cup, dip a tooth brush in the cup and start brushing the wax off. It will come off relatively easily with light pressure. Then wipe off with a clean cloth. I am a former car detailer and this is what I used. You can also try a small solution of car wash soap with white vinegar, but the WV may start to strip off the wax off the paint if your not careful.

MikeBoom 03-01-2012 02:28 PM

Just a note on the Magic Eraser--these things are actually mildly abrasive. You need to be very careful using them on any automotive surface.

Martyp 03-02-2012 02:11 PM

Glass cleaner works well also.