Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   WK'ers, If You Have A Superlift With The SSRs... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/wkers-if-you-have-a-superlift-with-the-ssrs-38219.html)

No One 03-02-2012 07:22 AM

WK'ers, If You Have A Superlift With The SSRs...

...and you have a warranty issue, DO NOT EXPECT ANY HELP FROM SUPERLIFT CUSTOMER SERVICE!. What you will get is attitude. Right rear SSR sprung a leak, called SL and was informed that the remote resevoir style shock for that kit is no longer offered and all SL could do was replace them with the current Superide style shock. Fortunately I still had my receipt, went to 4Wheel Parts, whom did provide excellent customer service, to sort this out.

Now I thought it was just me, but the SL customer service rep sounded as if he could just be possibly bothered, ya know, how dare I question the workmanship of their product, etcetera. The 4WP rep was a cursing after a 30 minute talk with SL about replacing the shocks...so it was not just me. 4wp rep said the Superide is an OK shock, but not a great shock and absolute garbage when compared to the SSR, thus not a suitable replacement. 4WP went on to explain that Bilstein supplied the SSR , and the 30 minute discussion was 4WP trying to get a part# to reference to see if Bilstein has something similar that could be subsituted. 4WP did manage to get SL to send a pair of Superides, well SL sent some type of shocks, just nothing that would fit my Jeep if I decided to just settle with the cheaper shock. The 4WP rep sent them back and continued to look for a replacement.

I looked at the Jeepin By Al site and saw these http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-Bilstein_...rvoir-756.aspx. I called JBA, also provided great customer service, and was informed that these shocks will work with the 4" SL without any modification. 4WP does not have JBA as a vendor, so I ordered them myself, and nearly fainted at the price. Look at the site, that is not for a pair, THE PRICE LISTED IS A PIECE! 4WP hooked me up by doing the installation free of charge and even threw in a tire rotation. AAAHHH, needed to vent my angst.

RedRocker 03-02-2012 07:58 AM

I originally had the remote shocks and they started to get noisy (sucking sound on longer extension or compression), I replaced them with the Bilsteins and noticed no ride difference (aside from the lack of noise).

I'm sorry for the crappy customer service, but unless you're going to run a Baja-style race (where the shock is constantly exercised to the limits of its extension) you probably don't need a remote reservoir shock (that's what I've been told anyway).

No One 03-02-2012 12:43 PM

Re: WK'ers, If You Have A Superlift With The SSRs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 585016)
I originally had the remote shocks and they started to get noisy (sucking sound on longer extension or compression), I replaced them with the Bilsteins and noticed no ride difference (aside from the lack of noise).

I'm sorry for the crappy customer service, but unless you're going to run a Baja-style race (where the shock is constantly exercised to the limits of its extension) you probably don't need a remote reservoir shock (that's what I've been told anyway).

You replaced your rear shocks with Bilsteins without the remote resevoir? Which Bilstein shock is that? You wheel your WK harder than most anyone else, so I am guessing no issues with the newer shocks?

NHWK05 03-03-2012 08:55 PM

Remote resi shocks are meant for constant fast work like Jeep Speed. I had edlebrock remote resi shocks on the front of my xj and that was only because they were on sale, but noticed no performance or ride difference over the bilstein 5125s I had in the back. I'd get the 5125s! Great shocks and great quality!

omelet 03-04-2012 12:18 PM

Just in case you still wanted the PN for the SSR, it is 95025. A year ago when I was looking for new (longer) shocks I tried the superride shocks and hated them. There was nothing super about them. At the time I could still find a few sets of the SSRs even though they had been discontinued for a little while. I considered them, but after reading about their failure rate I decided against them. Instead I got a set of 11" Fox shocks that work beautifully! I couldn't be happier with them. :thumbsup:

RedRocker 03-04-2012 12:47 PM

I've had the Bilsteins for a year and no issues. I'll have to look up the part number for you when I get some time.

omelet 03-04-2012 02:04 PM

Man I haven't seen you around the forums for a while! How you been? Your WK is still looking amazing btw!

RedRocker 03-04-2012 04:15 PM

I'm doing pretty well - we're putting the final touches on the GSW plans. I EXPECT to see you this year! I'll post an official announcement here when the rego site is available.

RedRocker 03-04-2012 04:37 PM

Btw, the non-res shock is sold by Superlift, but I believe it's made by Bilstein, "Superlift 88200" - roughly $40 a shock.

omelet 03-04-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 586400)
I'm doing pretty well - we're putting the final touches on the GSW plans. I EXPECT to see you this year! I'll post an official announcement here when the rego site is available.

Good to hear! I had every intention to go out to GSW this year and still do. However I am with a new team now and our scheduled is pretty grueling. Not sure I will make it yet again :( One of these years I WILL be there! My dad and I are planning a weekend or two day trip to the Rubicon later this year if you are interested? We need to work out the little details with his newly lifted JK Rubi and I will be installing the SL here shortly and need to work out the little things. But I will keep everyone posted in case others want to join!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 586409)
Btw, the non-res shock is sold by Superlift, but I believe it's made by Bilstein, "Superlift 88200" - roughly $40 a shock.

Yep those are the ones I tried! I didn't like them and gave them away free with my OME MD kit. Now I will be getting another pair with my SL that wont be used!

RedRocker 03-05-2012 08:18 AM

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't make it out. Just big talk. :)

I did the Rubicon twice in my ZJ - I don't think it's a good trail to take a WK on - the IFS is just too limiting unless you pave the trail like Jeep does for it's testing and PR shots.

I personally don't see (feel) any difference between the remote reservoir shocks and the non-res shocks - what specifically did you not like about the non-res shocks?

omelet 03-05-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 586875)
Yeah, I knew you wouldn't make it out. Just big talk. :)

I did the Rubicon twice in my ZJ - I don't think it's a good trail to take a WK on - the IFS is just too limiting unless you pave the trail like Jeep does for it's testing and PR shots.

I personally don't see (feel) any difference between the remote reservoir shocks and the non-res shocks - what specifically did you not like about the non-res shocks?

Haha! No it is not just bug talk! I really want to get out there, but it is hard to make plans and execute them when the government plans your life.

Yes! I'm glad someone else is aware of that. Most people don't believe me when I tell them that the Rubicon testing is rigged. I am still wanting to give it a try though!

My big complaint about the SL shocks was ride control. They were too floaty and bobbed too much. It felt like the weight in the rear and HD coils just over powered them.