Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Bluetooth Audio WITHOUT Phone (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/bluetooth-audio-without-phone-38223.html)

Big Green 03-02-2012 10:43 AM

Bluetooth Audio WITHOUT Phone

Hey guys,

I have found the bluetooth in my jeep for phone calls to be absolutely horrible at speeds above 35 mph. People can't hear a thing I say on the highway. I would, however, like to retain bluetooth streaming for audio from my iPhone. Does anyone have any insight into how I can do this?

HEMI Army 03-04-2012 08:57 AM

Re: Bluetooth Audio WITHOUT Phone

You'd have to look at your call settings on your phone.

Tybalt39 03-04-2012 09:40 PM

+1
You phone is in control of this. Just turn off the "hands-free" function while retaining the "stereo" streaming function on the phone.

joebuf1 03-05-2012 02:17 AM

You may want to take your Jeep to the dealer for this. My bluetooth works great at any speed!

Tybalt39 03-05-2012 12:41 PM

I thought about mentioning this as well. Are you getting too much background noise in your conversation? Can you not hear the other party? What exactly are the symptoms? I have absolutely no problem with phone calls at any speed. The cabin of this series of vehicles is well suited to hands-free calls, as it is so quiet. If you are having difficulties, it would be best to find out why.

Big Green 03-06-2012 12:57 PM

I can hear people fine, people can't hear a damn word I say when I'm going above 50, windows up.

Tybalt39 03-06-2012 04:34 PM

Is your audio system 430 or 730 based (mines 730).

Big Green 03-06-2012 10:03 PM

730n, latest update 2.120

Tybalt39 03-07-2012 07:55 PM

Odd. I would certainly have it checked. FYI, you do have to project and enunciate, but you have to do that with any hands-free system (even a speakerphone).

ErikRP 03-08-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Green (Post 587813)
I can hear people fine, people can't hear a damn word I say when I'm going above 50, windows up.

Does your voice cut out entirely? Or can they hear the occasional word? If it's the occasional word, are those words loud and clear, or are they soft and quiet. Also, you said it seems to happen when you hit 35 mph. Is everything perfect until then, or it's not good at 0 and just gets worse as you increase speed.

As far as I know the speed of the vehicle should be more or less irrelevant for Bluetooth; assuming you're talking about the usual setup where you're using UConnect to pair your phone to your radio via Bluetooth, and you're using the handsfree microphone in the vehicle to speak. If that's the case you should be able to go 150 mph and not have a bit of difference.

Something that did come to mind, but it's a long shot: your microphone is likely located in the rearview mirror. Perhaps it is somehow picking up noise (e.g. wind) as your vehicle speed increases. It's unlikely, but if you had a bad seal near the mirror you could get a bit of air coming in that could be enough to screw with the microphone. It's not likely the problem but it's worth a minute to check. That's about the only way I can see speed being a factor in the poor communication. For any other ideas I can come up with vehicle speed would be irrelevant.

Tybalt39 03-08-2012 11:26 AM

Any chance you have something in the way of the microphone, like a radar detector? A hanging air-freshener?

Knightrider03m 03-08-2012 02:24 PM

I understand what he is talking about. I think he is talking about the wind noise in the background. On your phone as you are talking, there should be a "private mode" setting to turn the Bluetooth off while making the phone call..... they may even have the same setting on the radio as well.