Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Wheel Spacers Necessary?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/wheel-spacers-necessary-38256.html)

dane.p 03-03-2012 12:21 AM

Wheel Spacers Necessary??

I've got a 2" RC Lift sitting on my bench and another half inch of strut plate spacers and monroe levelers. With 3 in the back and 2.5 in the front, will it be necessary to put some wheel spacers in?

mosier 03-04-2012 06:27 PM

Re: Wheel Spacers Necessary??

With stock wheels and tires, spacers are not needed. If you upgrade your tire size it depends on how wide you go. The most common upgrade with the factory 17" wheels is a 265/70/17. Many folks on here run a one inch spacer to clear "the bolt" and the deal with the pinch weld. Some other folks have changed out their wheels for 17" JK wheels, and those from what I have read on here require at least a 1/4" spacer to clear the WK brake calipers. Others have upgraded their tire size, trimmed "the bolt" and also did the "pinch weld mod" to not have to run spacers. It all depends on what you want to do on tire size and how much "modding" you want to do to run said tire size on your WK. Hope this helps.

dane.p 03-07-2012 11:27 PM

So if i were to get the 265/70/17 tires, wheel spacers would be wise even if i raise it as much as 3 inches?? Should i be worried about the bolt hanging from the control arm?

mosier 03-08-2012 10:07 AM

From my understanding the relationship of "the bolt" that attaches the upper control arm to the steering knuckle never changes it's relationship as to the proximity of the distance to the inner front tires, even with a lift. As you lift the WK, the upper arm is going to move dowward and the resulting angle changes are affecting the upper control arm ball joint, as the "the bolt" is a fixed relationship. Thats why those who really go over two inches of lift and/or wheel alot buy the JBA upper control arms as they are made with the angle compensation built into the upper ball joint area so the after a lift the upper control arm maintains a more neutral plane, thus it cuts down on premature and/or catastrophic upper ball jiont failure, as when that happens the steering knuckle becomes unsupported and the "lays over"-not good. So......The whole idea to run wheel spacers on the WK is to clear "the bolt" as far as tire width is concerned, and to keep from rubbing the pinch weld and possiable cutting your tires during full steering lock and/or full suspension compression. I have not tried running a tire as wide as a 265, but I am guessing at bare minimum you would need a 1/2" spacer and longer wheel studs. Even at 1/2", you may still need to do some trimming on "the bolt" and possiably the pinch welds and/or the inner fender liners.

antsjeep 03-08-2012 02:46 PM

Before my JK Moabs i had the stock sextant wheels/265's/1.25" spacers... my tires would have hit that bolt for sure, i don't see how some people say it would clear with no spacers. I guess it comes down to the tire make, size and tread pattern (AT,MT,etc..) My General AT2's would been chewed to shit if i didn't have wheel spacers on, thats all i can say.

As far as the pinch weld goes... i to did this mod and now im able to turn the wheel at full lock and clear my fender liners by roughly 1/4".

Hope that helps!

dane.p 03-11-2012 10:51 AM

Alright so should i get 1.5" then?

mosier 03-11-2012 01:55 PM

Looks like I need to amend my previous information as to what wheel spacer people are running. In a previous post I stated most are running the one inch spacer, when in fact after checking a lot of threads on this, it looks like most are running the 1.5" wheel spacer. My mistake. There was one post where the user took out the 1.5" spacer because it made the wheels stick out to far for thier visual likeing, and instead they decided they could run a smaller spacer and still get the nessceary clearance. I think alot of it depends on the wheel offset used and the actual tire used to really know what you will need for sure.

dane.p 03-11-2012 03:36 PM

I've seen mostly 1.25 and 1.5 spacers and they all look good, so im just gonna get one of those. So this is off topic but should i stick with the 2" RC lift or should I add onto it with 2.5 up front n 3 in the back? Any opinions???

antsjeep 03-12-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dane.p (Post 591306)
Alright so should i get 1.5" then?

1.25" or 1.5" are what you should be looking for if your planning to run spacers.

mosier 03-12-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dane.p (Post 591461)
I've seen mostly 1.25 and 1.5 spacers and they all look good, so im just gonna get one of those. So this is off topic but should i stick with the 2" RC lift or should I add onto it with 2.5 up front n 3 in the back? Any opinions???

Really depends on how many miles are on the WK and what you really want to do with the lift. The reason I say this is that once you get into the suspension, if there are alot miles on it, that would be the time to address it, so you don't have to pull it all apart again for quite a while. You will then find that a budget lift starts adding up pretty quickly. What are your plans?

dane.p 03-15-2012 09:04 PM

well if im doing it im doing it all at once, so what im thinking is that I either cut the bolt down a bit to refrain from shredding my 265 tire and get the 2.5 up front and 3 in the back, or i leave the bolt the same and get spacers with just a 2" lift all around...IM CONFUSEDDD............

Jnabbott21 03-17-2012 08:30 AM

the bolt doesn't have anything to do with the size of your lift. It is affected by the width of your tire. If you decide to run 265/70 tires you are increasing the width of your tire by 20 mm this addition would cause contact with the bolt on the upper control arm. You can cut that down and not need spacers. Or you can add spacers and do the pinch weld mod to keep from having to cut it at all. I personally went with a 245/75 setup as it allowed me to put a larger tire on with zero mods.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk