Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Belt Tensioner (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/belt-tensioner-38313.html)

DrLocke 03-04-2012 11:36 AM

Belt Tensioner

I hope this hasn't been discussed before...today while checking for the location of my radiator leak I notice residue on my engine belt tensioner from (I presume) my belt. Is that common or from my radiator leak?
I have an '04 WJ I6. I have always noticed my tensioner to be shiney but now it looks like belt residue has melted or separated from the belt and attached to the tensioner.
Thanks in advance. I am going to be replacing my radiator, water pump, thermostate and thermostate housing soon so if I need to replace the tensioner I would like to do that at the same time. I will be replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses also on advise from this forum.:violin:

01grand 03-04-2012 01:33 PM

Re: Belt Tensioner

I would replace the belt, what is its condition? Any cracks?

DrLocke 03-04-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 586335)
I would replace the belt, what is its condition? Any cracks?

No. It seems to be normal. No cracks. The tensioner is still shiney overall but it has what looks like streeks of rubber around the circumference in a pair of parrell lines broken not solid.
Thanks.

01grand 03-04-2012 04:43 PM

I would replace the tensioner then, rough edges could damage the belt.

Frango100 03-04-2012 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check the markings on the tensioner to see if the belt is not stretched too much and the tensioner is on the end of its travel. If ok, i would remove the belt and check it thorougly for signs of wear. Then check if all pulleys turn freely with not too much resistance.
The idler and tensioner pulley bearings tend to loose their grease over time and can get jammed, with as a result that the belt will slip over the pulley and cause the rubber dust. This will finally end in a broken belt when not discovered in time.

DrLocke 03-04-2012 11:17 PM

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I will check those things tomorrow after work. I was kinda leaning towards tensioner resistence to movement but it is still shiney and the marks look like deposits from the belt spinning faster than the tensioner.
Thanks again.

DrLocke 03-07-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLocke (Post 586734)
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I will check those things tomorrow after work. I was kinda leaning towards tensioner resistence to movement but it is still shiney and the marks look like deposits from the belt spinning faster than the tensioner.
Thanks again.

Thank you everyone that responded. I finally had a chance to open the hood while the engine was running to make sure all my pulleys were rotating.
The problem was comming from a pin hole leak at the top for the radiator cooling fins. It was spraying the hot coolant directly on the fan belt and causing it to become soft enough to transfer to the pulley.
Who'da though...?