Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Battery dead...can't open rear liftgate! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/battery-dead-cant-open-rear-liftgate-38382.html)

Dan JGC 03-05-2012 01:32 PM

Battery dead...can't open rear liftgate!

Odd, my battery drained in 30 hours to the point that the interior lights were very dim and the power locks wouldn't work. Used key to enter driver's door....but no way to unlock the rear liftgate. My jumper cables are in with the spare tire so need to open the rear liftgate to access them. Since there is no lock to unlock...I was out of luck. Anyone know how to unlock the rear liftgate without power???

brandont 03-05-2012 01:52 PM

Re: Battery dead...can't open rear liftgate!

From the OM:

NOTE: In the event of a power malfunction to the
liftgate, an emergency liftgate latch release can be used to
open the liftgate. The emergency liftgate latch release can
be accessed through a snap-in cover located on the
liftgate trim panel.

Dan JGC 03-05-2012 02:00 PM

^^^ Thanks!!! Good to know....will look for it!

armoredsaint 03-05-2012 02:06 PM

you'll have to crawl to the back seats and up and over, they pry the trim in the dark without scratching it up. Jeep should've put a keylock there and manually open it instead.

tnjeep 03-05-2012 04:19 PM

I never even thought about that senario!

HammFist 03-05-2012 06:06 PM

Reading about this as well as all the keyless entry snafus makes me miss the old manual stuff. Stick key in lock, turn, open. Also, the new cars are using a lot of battery power even when turned off. I don't like that either.

77Cherokee 03-05-2012 06:54 PM

Dan JGC, you may have a short somewhere. A one year old battery should not have drained down in one day. :huh:

Dan JGC 03-05-2012 07:09 PM

^^^ Yep --- dunno why it drained so fast and so completely (interior light VERY dim and not enough power to unlock the doors and the EVIC was faint and blinking nonsense). I don't have anything plugged in nor was there an interior light on. Within the week I had taken it into the dealer for the oil change, routine inspection, and tire rotation. If the headlights would have stayed on for some reason....someone in my condo would have called me. Hope it was a fluke...but I got the lifetime max warranty so.....

bikerbill 03-30-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 587045)
From the OM:

NOTE: In the event of a power malfunction to the
liftgate, an emergency liftgate latch release can be used to
open the liftgate. The emergency liftgate latch release can
be accessed through a snap-in cover located on the
liftgate trim panel.

Had a reason to manualy open the liftgate yesterday, saw the above quote in the manual but upon opening the snap-in cover i did not readily see how to flip the latch ;it's pretty dark in there and filled with insulation. Anybody
actually opened one.

aimpulsive 05-10-2012 05:24 AM

I left my 2012 overland at airport for three days and returned to dead battery.

Nothing was left on. Never happened before but this was the first time it has sat for more than a day.

Anyone else have a dead battery after a short spell of sitting?

fundguy 05-10-2012 11:08 AM

Open the glass or climb in from the back. Probably easier than manual tailgate open unless you need to open the tailgate to access the cables. Good to know if you do because my cables are by spare and that might also be the case for me too. If it is I will consider relocating them to a different spot. Maybe under driver's seat?

markp99 05-10-2012 02:29 PM

My jumper cables are stowed under the passenger seat in their zippered bag. A bit of a tight fit under there, but that's a good thing.