Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Recirculation door thwack sound (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/recirculation-door-thwack-sound-38385.html)

suzieque 03-05-2012 02:01 PM

Recirculation door thwack sound

so this week, I noticed when I push the recirculation button on my dash, I hear a "thwack" sound from in behind the glove box. :eek:

system seems to work ok, but I'm concerned it is a sign of an impending failure.

for you guys with climate control systems, can you tell me if you notice any loud noises when turning on the recirculation?

dr.lee.baugh 03-05-2012 06:07 PM

Re: Recirculation door thwack sound

Yep, I certainly have experienced this before. I had thought it was the blend doors or something binding a little and then slapping into position.

I've noticed it over the last 50,000 miles or so, and the system still works as it is supposed to (apart from the noise, of course!). So, I wouldn't say it is a sign of impending failure...but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point down the road I'll be under the dash looking into this more!

suzieque 03-05-2012 10:22 PM

Damn, well think I will go in, even if the dealer sends me back out the door with a "no fault found". I'm just about out of warranty so want to get stuff looked at.

harricanfloyd 03-08-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 587492)
Damn, well think I will go in, even if the dealer sends me back out the door with a "no fault found". I'm just about out of warranty so want to get stuff looked at.

Yes, go in!! My 99 made the same noise and ended up the little tab on the door broke off, thus giving me the "RECIRC DOOR TRAVEL TOO FAR"

suzieque 03-08-2012 07:03 PM

yup, I went in and they have to order some part, then they need my jeep for at least a full day to tear the dash apart!

it's under warranty so no cost to me. :)

swing4terps 03-08-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 589660)
yup, I went in and they have to order some part, then they need my jeep for at least a full day to tear the dash apart!

it's under warranty so no cost to me. :)

Can you find out that part name?

suzieque 03-10-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 589661)
Can you find out that part name?

I will ask for a copy of the work order with the details after the repair.

08Hemi 03-10-2012 01:50 PM

I had mine replaced over a year ago...mine was not closing properly and spit out heat with it off. Does anyone's make noises when u switch output settings like straight and footwells to windshield or any switch?

swing4terps 03-10-2012 03:18 PM

Mine does as well. That's why I'm curious to know the part name.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

suzieque 03-16-2012 06:00 PM

quick update, new part doesn't arrive till end of the month, some sort of backorder, I will post the info on the repair once it is done.

suzieque 04-18-2012 09:25 AM

ok, so the repair is finally done, yes it a month to get the parts in.

repair done under warranty, but the service writer told me it would've been $1800 for the repair without warranty. :eek:

Mopar Part 68020402AB DISTRIBUTION HOUSING retail price $305
Mopar 68072190AA A/C AND HEATER ACTUATOR retail price $14

the killer is labor, it was 8 hours to tear the dash a part, and the air conditioning had to be drained and refilled.

therock2 01-07-2013 03:57 PM

For those of you who have this issue in the future pull out the glove box (no screws at all to remove) and check the little AC/ and Heater actuator gear to see if it's broken. With the glove box removed it is the motor straight ahead and slightly to the right with a one inch electrical connector coming out of it. There are only three torx screws to remove along with the electrical connector. Most likely it is the old design which is prone to breaking. It mates with a gear on the recirculation flap and it can't travel too far because the door is larger than the opening. $16 at the dealership for the part (68072190AA), no dash removal, and no air conditioning drain and refill. That is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. The gear just slides on and off. It took me about 20 minutes to replace the part.

Here's a photo of the old part vs. the redesigned part(right). They have filled in the area that used to be hollow to prevent it from breaking at either end which was its weakest point. I hope this helps.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...C82B018214.jpg
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...C83FAE5FEC.jpg