Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Debadging...... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/debadging-38417.html)

csd10100 03-06-2012 12:14 AM

Debadging......

What is the best way to d badge the doors and hood ?? Thanks

TurboDiesel 03-06-2012 12:24 AM

Re: Debadgeing......

heat gun or ice pack

do a search theres a fairly recent thread on this

Ernest 03-07-2012 11:42 AM

I used a hair dryer and strong fishing line (65 lb.--can't remember brand), which should be available at most good sporting goods stores. Heat each piece for a couple of minutes, then pull the line through with both hands. It helps to use gloves, as I had to pull hard enough in several spots on the door trim that I broke the line.

cdspiller99 03-07-2012 11:53 AM

I used fishing line, and sawed back n forth. Used goo gone for the left over glue.

Dabitz 03-07-2012 01:17 PM

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered my "Grand Cherokee" letters for the doors and on my way to Home Depot to get the Goo Gone. :thumbsup:

jaxkxx 03-07-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 588631)
Thanks for the tips. I just ordered my "Grand Cherokee" letters for the doors and on my way to Home Depot to get the Goo Gone. :thumbsup:

Would love to see the pictures after you are done. How much did you pay for new GC letters?

Dabitz 03-07-2012 03:11 PM

$54 for both sides minus 5% coupon (retailmenot5) + shipping from justforjeeps.com. I ordered today and they already shipped! I will definitively post pictures as I am planning to do some plasti dip as well (door handles, mirrors, grill, bug deflector, and rear tailgate.

Is that Goo Gone thing safe on the paint? I got the power one from Home Depot, less than $4.

Brewster 03-07-2012 06:06 PM

I have used either a hair dryer or heat gun (just be careful with this one). I have used a plastic putty knife. Once put under the corner they usually come right off leaving no residue.

Justal13 03-07-2012 07:10 PM

Use WD-40 liberally to remove the residual adhesive. WD-40 also works great for removing stickers and road tar from painted surfaces with no potential for damage or harm to your paint.

AytoSiks 03-07-2012 08:12 PM

I just used 50lb spiderwire fishing line (braided, not mono). No heat gun, no goo gone... just carefully sawed it behind the letters and pulled 'em off. The remaining glue residue peeled off super easily. It left a nice clean finish and I didn't have to use heat or chemicals. Now my Jeep doesn't say "Jeep" or "Laredo."

Dabitz 03-07-2012 09:15 PM

Re: Debadging......

I will buy some fishing line, I really don't want to mess up the moldings so I can use them again if i get bored of all black. I will try WD-40 first. This goo thing scares me.

Ernest 03-07-2012 11:46 PM

Re: Debadging......

The Goo-Gone (or Goof-Off) will not damage the paint. I used it to clean off the last bit of residue. I just wiped those areas off with a wet rag after using it, but have a pail of soapy water handy and go over it again if you're nervous about it.