Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Paint Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/paint-issue-38433.html)

Big Game 03-06-2012 11:35 AM

Paint Issue

3 Attachment(s)
I recently noticed some paint imperfections on my 2012 WK2. I've had it a month, and this is the first time I've noticed it (I've been away the last few weeks).

It is only visible at night or when it is very overcast, but I can see paint blotches in the mineral gray color. There is a cloudy or hazy appearance in spots. Under light or in sun, I can't see it at all.

Anyone else have this problem? Not sure there is much I can do at this point....I'm really hesitant to have the dealership start repainting anything so I'll probably just live with it.

ckehl2 03-06-2012 12:51 PM

Re: Paint Issue

I'm sure it's not what it is, but it almost looks like the reflection of clouds in the sky...I am anxious to give mine a good clean up to see if I find anything on it. I would agree, if it's barely noticable, not sure I would have them mess with it.

Big Game 03-06-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckehl2 (Post 587809)
I'm sure it's not what it is, but it almost looks like the reflection of clouds in the sky....

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like....but it appears that way even at night.

I'm probably just OCD (actually, I know I'm OCD)... :)

jeepster23 03-06-2012 02:13 PM

This might help you.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2300312.pdf

Big Game 03-06-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 587852)

Interesting....I'll bring it by the dealership (along with this TSB) and see what they say.

Thanks!

fallujah03 03-06-2012 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hahaha!!! I was just going to post for the SAME THING for my first post. I'm driving people nuts telling them to look at my hood. Pic attached. I'm trying to ignore it but I'm having a lot of trouble. Bought the car 2.5 weeks ago. I've seen the splotchy on the front pillars. One of my eomplyees suggested that it was the unique angle of the hood compared to the rest of the car. I popped the hood and the splotchyness went away. I don't think it's right though... It shouldn't look like that. Love the car though.

armoredsaint 03-06-2012 11:47 PM

I would NOT trust the dealer to use a rotary on your JGC, they would probably make it worst with all those holograms.

I had the same issue on my 4 week old MG, I zaino it with AIO on my GG6 ROP with a white pad. All gone.

J13ntv 03-07-2012 12:04 AM

Yea it most likely just needs some polish/wax. It may even be polish/wax which is causing that look. I doubt its the paint/clear coat although possible probably unlikely.

sdlimited 03-07-2012 03:51 AM

OMG! So I have a 2012 Mineral Grey and I was noticing the exact same thing on my hood. I called my wife at home and told her to look at the hood!

It is very noticeable in my garage with the lights on... During the day not so much. Im not sure what to do at this point.

BIG GAME... let us know what the dealership has to say.

AAAA 03-07-2012 07:58 AM

I'll bet you a donut that it is not the paint, but the reflection. Remember you are dealing with multi-layer metal flake or pearl paint with clear coat on a surface which is gently curved.

ckehl2 03-07-2012 08:19 AM

I am not an expert, diiyer at best...but I have painted a couple cars. Metallics can appear blotchy if the metal flakes are not even. They are more difficult to get even, consistent coverage, so it could be an uneven basecoat. Seems odd that the mineral gray folks are chiming in with this problem but no one else. Maybe they just haven't spoken up. Maybe someone with more paint experience than myself could chime in.

fallujah03 03-07-2012 05:04 PM

I waxed the hood. Noticed zero change. Looks great in the sunshine, I can't find a flaw. But when the clouds come rollin' in, that's when trouble starts.... I may just be the metallic paint...