Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Exhaust Adventures Last try (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/exhaust-adventures-last-try-38459.html)

madini 03-06-2012 07:30 PM

Exhaust Adventures Last try

O.K. My exhaust guy must think I am an idiot! I had him cut the resonators off and install straight pipe in their place.Result,nice sound but BIG DRONE inside at highway speeds.I then had him add two small "glasspacks" just behind the stock muffler.Less sound,same drone just at the speed where you like to travel the interstate.CRAP!!! I thought it would help iif he added an "H" pipe to balance things behind the two small glasspacks.YEP,DRONE BIG TIME.I can't take this on a brand new Grand Cherokee.What next? Go back to stock? Replace the resonators and try a couple of performance mufflers in it's place?My exhaust system looks like something not nice.I'm trying to laugh here but I am getting discouraged.Anybody try something else and have good results?

Chaoul1 03-06-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Exhaust Adventures Last try

Put the resonators back on lol.

madini 03-06-2012 07:33 PM

You may be right.....

Chaoul1 03-06-2012 07:56 PM

Put them back on. You'll still have the same sound wihtout any drone!

ckehl2 03-07-2012 04:10 PM

Any chance we could get a video for those of us considering some modifications on our own JGC's? I want to modify the exhaust, but can't afford a full exhaust system. Just thinking that everyone has varying degrees of tolerance for "too much drone", or "too loud". Might help some others that are considering cutting off the resonators, like myself. :)

webspoke 03-08-2012 01:57 PM

If it was me, I would try putting the glass packs or small performance mufflers in place of e stock resonators. Consider using slightly different sizes on each side, to break up the drone frequency a little.

77rednecktruck 03-08-2012 03:30 PM

I would like to try keeping the resonators by the back bumper and replacing the front muffler with a flowmaster or glasspack.

madini 03-09-2012 10:54 PM

to webspoke,I did put glasspacks behind the stock muffler after removing the resonators.I even welded a crosspipe to perhaps lessen the drone.No luck..
to77 Rednecktruck, Your suggestion may be my next attempt.Can't believe nobody tried this yet.

BuckeyeSRT 03-10-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck (Post 589521)
I would like to try keeping the resonators by the back bumper and replacing the front muffler with a flowmaster or glasspack.

That was a pretty common thing to do with the LX(Magnum, Charger, 300) group. It was called removing the suitcase (the mufflers looked like a suitcase) and replacing it with glass packs or something similar

E55 Bulldog 05-29-2012 09:57 PM

Any updates on this or videos... Anyone swap out muffler with magnaflow or flowmaster and keep the Res??

madGC 05-31-2012 12:57 PM

Blew out the resonators on my Corvette and installed Flowmasters. Sounded phenominal from the outside, but the inside droned like you couldn't imagine (in a Vette there is not much between the exhaust and the cabin). I put the resonators back on and it was smooth as silk. Point being, you can't get much more extreme than a Vette so my recommendation would be to put the resonators back on, you don't lose much sound quality on the outside and your ears won't be bleeding at highway speeds. Good luck.

CPT2010 05-31-2012 01:09 PM

Turn up the radio