Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Coolant system issue!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/coolant-system-issue-38519.html)

IntimiGators 03-07-2012 08:01 PM

Coolant system issue!!!

Hey All,
I apologize now if this gets to be a bit long winded, but I just wanted to fill you in on everything I have done thus far and still have not corrected the issue. I originally had the problem of losing coolant from my reservoir/overflow tank and was frequently refilling it, no signs of leaks or overheating of any sort. I first had a pressure check done and there were no signs of leaks anywhere. a few weeks passed and i noticed my radiator began to leak quite profusely, because of that I had my radiator and cap replaced. still the problem of coolant loss persisted but now I was beginning to overheat with in town driving I took it back and they replaced a cooling fan relay. none of this seemed to correct anything! after replacing the radiator and relay it ran fine for about a week or so and then the problems came back. At this point I thought I'd have someone else look at it and give me their opinion. with the time he had he bled/burped the coolant system by removing the radiator cap and slowly filling it while the truck was running and clearing any air in the system. This seemed to have fixed it! Only for about two weeks though, now I'm back to the same issue and don't know what else to do. I replaced my thermostat just this last week and my water pump, and fan clutch were replaced in the last two years at least. I don't know much about repairing vehicles but I'm thinking somehow I've gotten air back in the system. Is it a matter of replacing my hoses at this point and if so which are the most common. I don't know what to do anymore, PLEASE HELP!!!

01grand 03-07-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Coolant system issue!!!

Which engine do you have?

2005JGC 03-08-2012 03:18 AM

If you have a 4.7l the bleed screw must be removed to properly bleed the system. Also know a common failure that kids the relay is a failing fan, your failing fan drawing too much current may have killed your new relay already.

IntimiGators 03-08-2012 05:09 AM

My jeep is a 2000, 4.0 I-6.

2005JGC 03-09-2012 02:22 AM

I have a power probe that has an internal circuit breaker, I cannot remember the technical term for its operation but basically there is a graph for how much amperage it can take for how long, like it can only take 30A for like 2 seconds but it can take 4A for 15 minutes before it blows... typically when I can actuate a fan without tripping the breaker on my power probe i dont worry about the fan (as a known good will spin up to full speed comefortably without blowing the breaker) but it is NOT uncommon for my breaker to pop within a second or two, the fan will just start to spin up and blow the breaker... its not scientific, I dont have an actual number to give the customer but it is very clear that it is drawing ALOT more amperage than a known good fan. I would look into your fan and possibly another relay.