Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   HID's Installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/hids-installed-38546.html)

Antonio186 03-08-2012 07:14 AM

HID's Installed

so i finally got my 6000K HID installed in the jeep, only 2 problems now. one im not sure if i actually like the blueness of the 6000k lights, i had 6000k 55w HID's before and i liked the color of those they were more white than blue. it didnt occur to me until i had them installed that the lower wattage 35w kit would look more blue than white. so i am ordering a set of 5000K bulbs to swap out the 6000k bulbs. on the bright side i will have a spare set of bulbs for the wifes car now.

the second problem and im not really sure where the issue i should try swapping ballasts from left to right to see if the issue follows. but the lights work no problems at all when the car is off or on as long as i turn them on manually. if i leave them on auto the drivers side comes on just fine but then the passenger side will come on for a split second and shut off. and if i turn the switch to the off position then turn it back on to the on position both sides light up and stay on no issues.

my guess is that i need to one of two things

1) like i said above swap the ballast and bulb to the drivers side to see if the problem follows the ballast and bulb, if it does then i need to narrow down if its the bulb, by swapping bulbs only not ballasts.

2) if nothing changes from swapping and the problem still exists on passenger side only my guess is i will need a relay harness.

if anyone would like to chime and correct my assumptions or lend any assistance i would appreciate it.

Antonio186 03-08-2012 01:36 PM

Re: HID's Installed

Anybody......Bueller?

DGoral31 03-08-2012 01:58 PM

thats odd... i would try replacing the relay before swapping ballasts... its a cheaper fix.. If that doesnt work, i'd swap ballasts, one of your ballasts could be defective. I've had to replace 2 ballasts in the past 8 months of owning my 6k lights.

Also, when i first turn on my lights i notice my drivers side lights up immediately and the passanger takes a few seconds longer to light up... i think thats normal due to the wiring of these Jeeps.

Antonio186 03-08-2012 02:59 PM

when i said swapping ballasts i meant from left to right and vise versa in the jeep not actually buying new ballasts. i did however order a relay harness for 10.00 for the hell of it if i dont need it oh well i have a spare. right now the hid kit is plugged in directly to the jeeps factory wiring.

Amelie 03-08-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 589496)
right now the hid kit is plugged in directly to the jeeps factory wiring.

1) There's your problem right there. Once you get that wire harness/relay those problems should vanish. No matter how well you think your setup is you should ALWAYS run a wire harness.

2) As you may not know, when you get get a 55w kit for any HID K temp they claim since it's over-driven it lowers the bulb by about 1K temperature color. So that's why your 55w 6000k appeared white because the the color was washed out and it appeared about 1K lower than what it was. If you want brightness just go with a 35w 4.3K or the 5K you said you ordered.

Antonio186 03-08-2012 08:46 PM

yeah i thought as much, well i figure i can live with it the way it is for another few days or so till the new stuff comes in.

thank you for confirming my suspicions

Amelie 03-08-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 589736)
yeah i thought as much, well i figure i can live with it the way it is for another few days or so till the new stuff comes in.

thank you for confirming my suspicions

No problem, we're happy to help :)

Antonio186 03-09-2012 07:44 AM

just as a side note to this, i thought was really weird this morning i jumped in my jeep on my way to work 5:30am its still dark i left my headlight switch in the auto position last night when i came home, and started the jeep and voila both headlights came on automatically and didn't shut off. im not complaining i just found it odd that it works now. i didn't do anything different.