Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Brake job question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/brake-job-question-38550.html)

Burner 03-08-2012 08:02 AM

Brake job question

Hey guys I have a question regarding a brake job. I am getting ready to do the brakes on my jeep and would like to know if it is a normal change or do I need to look at for anything. I ask this because, when I had my Grand Prix and did its brakes I found out I needed a special tool to turn the pistons on the rear back in. I was able to use needle nose pliers to get them back in. So that is why I am asking. Thanks for any help you guys could give me.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-08-2012 06:21 PM

Re: Brake job question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burner (Post 589308)
Hey guys I have a question regarding a brake job. I am getting ready to do the brakes on my jeep and would like to know if it is a normal change or do I need to look at for anything. I ask this because, when I had my Grand Prix and did its brakes I found out I needed a special tool to turn the pistons on the rear back in. I was able to use needle nose pliers to get them back in. So that is why I am asking. Thanks for any help you guys could give me.

nope, that tool is for GM only. you will need a big C-clamp to push the piston back in, that is it

Burner 03-08-2012 06:39 PM

Sounds good and thank you for the reply. I thought that tool was a pain in the ass GM thing, but it never hurts to ask. How big of a C clamp are you talking about. I have them, it's just so I don't have to run back and forth. Thanks again.

Paul

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-08-2012 07:45 PM

i cant recall off hand, but i think 8 or 9 inches

JMLoughrey 03-09-2012 03:24 PM

you wont need a huge c-clamp, i usually use the old brake pad i just removed as a barrier between the c-clamp and the piston to help compress it a bit easier, more surface area.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-09-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 590208)
you wont need a huge c-clamp, i usually use the old brake pad i just removed as a barrier between the c-clamp and the piston to help compress it a bit easier, more surface area.

you still need the same size c clamp regardless lol it still has to fit on the caliper

Walt 03-11-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 589640)
nope, that tool is for GM only. you will need a big C-clamp to push the piston back in, that is it

....or a pair of "Chief Engineer" size Channel-Lok pliers. They have about a 6" jaw opening and can get around the inner pad and the rear of the calliper. Think they are ~18" long. Mine are Craftsman and I've had them forever.

I like that because I can control the pressure and feel the piston movement better.

Just a different approach to consider. [You also end up with a really big gripper for other stubborn things also. :D]