Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Auto vs Sport Modes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/auto-vs-sport-modes-38581.html)

sdlimited 03-08-2012 08:48 PM

Auto vs Sport Modes

Since I picked up my 2012 Limited several weeks ago I've been driving in "AUTO" mode. However in San Diego, CA where its always 75 degrees and sunny I was wonder if "SPORT" mode would be better. Forgive me but i'm not 100 percent sure how driving in Sport changes the car. I know it changes the shift points. Could someone please fill me in on the differences.

Also, if I'm drving in "AUTO" and I encouter a incline on the highway, will my Jeep swtich to 4WD and act sort of sluggish?

Thanks,

CT

ColdCase 03-08-2012 08:58 PM

Re: Auto vs Sport Modes

The mode is just your preference, in sport mode the transfer case transfers most of the power to the rear giving you more of a RWD feel, and the shift points are more aggressive. If you have QL, the Jeep is always lowered in sport mode. Use whatever mode you like.

There is really no shifting to 4wd, the only time the Jeep will use traction control and you feel some sluggishness up hill is if your wheels start to spin.

Have you driven other similarly equipped vehicles for comparison?

sdlimited 03-08-2012 09:01 PM

ColdCase... This is the first time I've driving anything with 4X4. My old Explorer was 2 wheeldrive and my bmw 525 was rwd.

I assume more aggressive shift points means worse MPGs?

armoredsaint 03-08-2012 09:07 PM

Does the suspension stiffen in Sport mode too?

nek121328 03-08-2012 10:02 PM

Yes

cbowen 03-08-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdlimited (Post 589739)
Since I picked up my 2012 Limited several weeks ago I've been driving in "AUTO" mode. However in San Diego, CA where its always 75 degrees and sunny I was wonder if "SPORT" mode would be better. Forgive me but i'm not 100 percent sure how driving in Sport changes the car. I know it changes the shift points. Could someone please fill me in on the differences.

Also, if I'm drving in "AUTO" and I encouter a incline on the highway, will my Jeep swtich to 4WD and act sort of sluggish?

Thanks,

CT

You mentioned your jeep switching to 4wd if you encounter a incline. Your Jeep is in 4wd all the time and you can not take it out of 4wd you can only change it to 4 low. The different modes are going to determine how your transfer case transfers the power to the wheels. Sport mode is 80% power to the rear wheels 20% to the front and auto is 60% to the rear and 40% to the front most of the time I think and snow is 50% to rear and 50% to the front and not 100% sure about the other modes. Also I do not believe the more aggressive shifts are going to change your MPG's

sdlimited 03-08-2012 11:22 PM

I'm going to drive in sport mode for a few weeks and see how I like it. Maybe the jeep will feel more responsive. Thanks fellas

Also. Does the car stay in sport or I have to select it Everytime I drive?

mot250 03-09-2012 12:07 AM

You have to select it every time you start it.

jgc4ever 03-09-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdlimited (Post 589839)
I'm going to drive in sport mode for a few weeks and see how I like it. Maybe the jeep will feel more responsive. Thanks fellas

Also. Does the car stay in sport or I have to select it Everytime I drive?

You have to select sport mode every time because whenever you shut down and start the Jeep it defaults to auto mode.

Sport mode will hurt mpg a little, but still mostly depends on how you drive. It does drive better in sport mode.

armoredsaint 03-09-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgc4ever (Post 589865)
You have to select sport mode every time because whenever you shut down and start the Jeep it defaults to auto mode.

Sport mode will hurt mpg a little, but still mostly depends on how you drive. It does drive better in sport mode.

how does it hurt MPG? it doesn't add more power. unless you drive free spirited in any mode your mpg will suffer.

walterhudson 03-09-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdlimited (Post 589739)

Thanks,

CT

Read the owners manual!

jgc4ever 03-09-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 589879)
how does it hurt MPG? it doesn't add more power. unless you drive free spirited in any mode your mpg will suffer.

Higher rpms before shifting up each gear.