Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   New Laredo wk2 beach work, lift and tyres? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/new-laredo-wk2-beach-work-lift-and-tyres-38630.html)

Jasman 03-10-2012 07:06 AM

New Laredo wk2 beach work, lift and tyres?

Hi, just ordered my petrol Laredo today and was wondering if anyone had taken a standard steel sprung Laredo to the beach (Moreton or Fraser ideally) and able to comment on it's performance relative to other vehicles? On paper it's got about the same clearance as a Prado but it just looks a bit low to me and I'm keen to know if I'm going to need a lift kit for my annual trip up the beach.

Anyone fitted a lift kit? What brand, where did you get it, how much did it cost and any comments on handling on and off road after the lift?

Also, anyone fitted different and/or larger tyres to the 18" rims, if so what size/type and any comments?

Cheers,

Jasman.

Mendo 03-11-2012 10:19 AM

Re: New Laredo wk2 beach work, lift and tyres?

I had a 120 series prado prior to the jeep. When test driving the steel sprung we parked them side by side and surprisingly to the naked eye looked about the same, because on its own it looks lower. I went for the QL because it's something that suits our purpose. The car gets to Fraser at least twice a year so the extra height is great to have then. For the rest of the time we have a normal height vehicle along with the perks of aerodynamic ride height and park entry exit height.

When testing the steel springs were great and now comparing to our QL, they give a slightly firmer ride. At a guess you shouldn't have any trouble with OEM steel springs, you'll bottom out occasionally (as we used to in the prado) so I'd recommend getting the steel underbody protection plates.

Also OEM Khumos performed well in sand. I'd recommend a tyre pressure of 20psi. We used 22 with no troubles at all but on reflection it might have still been a little high.

Jasman 03-12-2012 06:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback mate. I think I might get a 2" lift just to be safe and to give it that tough look!

Mendo 03-12-2012 03:14 PM

Yep would look awesome and definitely keep you out of trouble.

I haven't seen a lift kit in Australia I know the rocky road lift kit in the US is popular.

Enjoy. Might see you over there sometime

Jasman 03-13-2012 04:46 AM

After having a look around I wasn't 100% happy with the lift kits I could find so changed my order to include Quadra Lift. Hopefully see you on the beach sooner rather than later.

yoda42 03-13-2012 04:59 AM

Murchison products in QLD do a 40mm lift with new coils and top out plates, have a look at their site gallery for some pics

Jasman 03-13-2012 08:57 PM

Yeah, I found them and investigated them but I really didn't want a kit without shocks. I understand the top out plates as a solution but I'm not 100% sold and my dealer was very clear that any issues with suspension and/or steering would not be covered by warranty. My local ARB confirmed this as an issue as they had experienced this with a Jeep Wrangler and the dealer after they fitted a two inch lift and the car broke something in the steering that they felt was unrelated to the lift.

frog_a_lot 03-14-2012 09:40 PM

If you can prove that the damage wasn't caused by the lift kit then it should be covered under warranty. But it is more hassle and you do need to prove that it was a result of modifications.

yoda42 03-15-2012 07:26 PM

It's the dealer/jeep that have to prove the modification caused the failure, other wise they have to honor the warranty, and never just except verbal get them to put it in writing

Yoda

frog_a_lot 03-15-2012 07:42 PM

Fraser beach driving is still counted as public roads isnt it?
So if something does screw up then Jeep Assist must help you?

allypally 03-19-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frog_a_lot (Post 594586)
Fraser beach driving is still counted as public roads isnt it?
So if something does screw up then Jeep Assist must help you?

It may be classed as a public driving area in regard to rules and regulations, but it won't be classed as a public road as far as Jeep is concerned. Try getting the NRMA or RACQ to help. I doubt if they would venture out there.