Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   V6 WK2 Towing question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/v6-wk2-towing-question-38644.html)

SEA_GC 03-10-2012 02:19 PM

V6 WK2 Towing question

Hello all,

We are moving cross country from Seattle to Nashville in June. I am trying to decide whether to pony up the money for freight shipping my stuff vs. movers vs. a 6x12' UHaul to tow. Thoughts? We plan on selling most of our stuff and bringing the minimum amt possible.
Otherwise if any has any other moving suggestions, would be happy to hear them.

IRISH 03-10-2012 03:07 PM

Re: V6 WK2 Towing question

Try "Pods" it is a great way to move items on a budget and also is convenient.
http://www.pods.com/seattle.aspx

padgett 03-10-2012 06:49 PM

Do you have the towing package ? Have towed a lot more with a lot less, is mainly a matter of checking everything before starting, taking your time, being gentle, leaving a lot of room, avoid doing anything sudden (ignore passenger demands), and driving on the coolant temperature.

Is a lot more to it than that, but are the basics for a long trip.

pnwsnow 03-10-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 590840)
Do you have the towing package ? Have towed a lot more with a lot less, is mainly a matter of checking everything before starting, taking your time, being gentle, leaving a lot of room, avoid doing anything sudden (ignore passenger demands), and driving on the coolant temperature.

Is a lot more to it than that, but are the basics for a long trip.

Ditto! I used mine last summer to pull my travel 19 foot (3500 lbs loaded) travel trailer from California to Montana and back. Just monitored temps and didn't break any speed records. Mine has the factory tow package and I used sport mode.

SEA_GC 03-10-2012 09:25 PM

No, no tow package. I'd need to get a hitch installed, I know that there is more to the tow package than that.

Thanks for the feedback.

moosehead 03-10-2012 09:48 PM

Hitch plus 4 pin connector harness for brake/turn/rear lamps are all that is needed for a single axle Uhaul. Not a tough install, there are a few threads here both stock snd under bumper mount (the latter looks pretty clean). You should be fine with that haul, especially if you keep the trailer load lower and out of the wind.

padgett 03-10-2012 10:19 PM

Actually the V6 4x2 towing package is pretty much the bolt on receiver, full size (18") spare tire, the cut out rear valence and the 7/4 pin harness & socket. Plus a Jeep receiver cap. Everything else including the suspension is standard. Still glad mine has it.

The V8 package contains a lot more and so does the 4x4 package.

brandont 03-10-2012 10:52 PM

Some of the U Haul trailers are quite heavy, being built for durability and from steel. Overbuilt would be an understatement. They might consume quite a lot of the 5k lb load limit. I have seen some aluminum ones around too, those would be considerably less. I'd check with your local dealer to see what they have and try to estimate how much weight you have as well.

markp99 03-10-2012 11:01 PM

I pulled a UHaul u-BOX this summer with my V6. The only issue I has was with WIND. They are far from aerodynamic. :) I found myself downshifting on uphill slopes occasionally as the Jeep seemed a little confused what gear to use quickly enough.

The BOX was pretty full of my son's crap from his apartment - we needed to put the stuff into storage as he was spending the next semester in LosAngeles.

http://idratherbeinfrance.com/wp-con...6-1024x768.jpg

A very easy way to move and store - no extra unload-load step.

Palmetto 03-11-2012 09:15 AM

IIRC the 6x12 is a tandem axle trailer, right? If so, I believe that is the size that I towed from Charleston to Chapel Hill and back a few times with a V6 Explorer back in the day ('02 Explorer). That was before UHaul decided that an Explorer wasn't a suitable tow vehicle...

The Explorer did fine, and I knew far less about temps, etc. at that time then I do now. The trailer was definitely heavy so I wasn't going to set any speed records, but as everyone has said, just take it easy and you should be fine.

Now, I think that Explorer had the factory tow package, but I don't remember what all that entailed if it did (other then a receiver). That was of course the later SOHC V6 (much more powerful then the original 4.0 in the Explorers), but the Pentastar is still considerably more powerful.

EDIT: I should note that the tranny in that Explorer went out at 70k miles, but I have no reason to believe there was any correlation. That year was a bad year for Explorer transmissions...

padgett 03-11-2012 09:31 AM

Just a note. Several decades a go my family took a vacation from Texas through Colorado and Montana to Seattle, then down the coast to LaLa Land, & back I10 for a couple of days in a 70 VW "Westphalia" Camper, 1600 cc & 4 speed. 99% of the time at Interstate speeds, 1% uphill and slower. Just be patient.

77Cherokee 03-11-2012 10:07 AM

Since you don't have a hitch, consider renting an appropriately sized U Haul truck, and either tow the GC or have your wife follow you.