Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid Low? Check your rack and pinion for weeping (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/power-steering-fluid-low-check-your-rack-and-pinion-for-weeping-38649.html)

J13ntv 03-10-2012 04:11 PM

Power Steering Fluid Low? Check your rack and pinion for weeping

As a FYI to anyone with a 2011, check your power steering fluid. It seems between May 2010-August 2010 they had a rack and pinion issue, as a TSB was released DEC 2010. Supposedly anything built after August 18th (I think) 2010 had the new rack and pinion. My vehicle has a 9/03/10 build date but I noticed the rack and pinion is "weeping" as the TSB calls it and has a slight moan when turning at slow speeds. The fluid level was just refilled from way below "min" to now max. I am going to bring it into the dealer Monday and have them check the rack and pinion and repair/replace if necessary as I assume its leaking just very very very slowly as it shouldn't be wet at all by either boot.

The dealers never seem to want to "work". When I brought it in for a MIL light (EVAP system set it off) I told them to check my power steering, as the level is low. They claimed no leaks and topped off. I get home, drive up my ramps and look at the rack and pinion (after browsing TSB's after the fact...) and noticed the weeping rack & pinion. So much for the dealers being able to do anything without asking? Now I'll print the TSB, and tell them specific to check the passenger boot on the rack and pinion as its weeping.

RageOfFury 03-10-2012 04:54 PM

Re: Power Steering Fluid Low? Check your rack and pinion for weeping

Hmmm thanks for bringing this up. The TSB ( http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1900610.pdf ) states that this could affect WK2s built between May 20th 2010 and 19 August 2010. Mine was built in early August 2010. I will have to check this out!!!:eek:

J13ntv 03-10-2012 08:12 PM

Your Welcome. I'd definitely check if your between those dates but also check even if your outside of those dates if you notice your power steering low or doing down. Its a closed system and shouldn't fluctuate if your always checking it at a specific time, IE- Cold in the morning.

RageOfFury 03-11-2012 10:00 PM

I checked the level today and it's right at the MIN level. I tried my best to have a look at the rack and pinion from above and could not see weeping. I didn't go underneath though. I guess I'll schedule an appointment with the dealer/

I've had my Jeep for 1 year now, never checked this out before LOL. I'm glad it's just at MIN and not empty

Thanks for the heads up!

J13ntv 03-11-2012 10:07 PM

Yea its nearly impossible from the top, if you slide under you'll see the two bellows (rubber boots) they show in the TSB, my passenger side is weeping and the driver side has a touch of fluid.

J13ntv 03-12-2012 07:46 AM

Update: rack and pinion is being replaced at the dealer today.

Benefit? Free alignment :lol:

machinegun74 03-17-2012 01:57 PM

Is this TCB something that is covered under the 5/100k powertrain warranty? I just outran my 36k one and I found out where all my fluid was going. Out the passenger side boot.

It goes from MAX to MIN in about 2 or 3 months time.

J13ntv 03-17-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinegun74 (Post 595560)
Is this TCB something that is covered under the 5/100k powertrain warranty? I just outran my 36k one and I found out where all my fluid was going. Out the passenger side boot.

It goes from MAX to MIN in about 2 or 3 months time.

TSB isn't a recall so it not mandatory. I don't believe it falls under power train warranty you'll have to inquire. Unfortunately its about a 1000 dollar fix I'd say. I believe the msrp on the pinion is about 500 and I believe it calls for 3.5 hrs labor plus an alignment after.

bry@n 03-19-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 590789)
As a FYI to anyone with a 2011, check your power steering fluid. It seems between May 2010-August 2010 they had a rack and pinion issue, as a TSB was released DEC 2010. Supposedly anything built after August 18th (I think) 2010 had the new rack and pinion. My vehicle has a 9/03/10 build date but I noticed the rack and pinion is "weeping" as the TSB calls it and has a slight moan when turning at slow speeds. The fluid level was just refilled from way below "min" to now max. I am going to bring it into the dealer Monday and have them check the rack and pinion and repair/replace if necessary as I assume its leaking just very very very slowly as it shouldn't be wet at all by either boot.

The dealers never seem to want to "work". When I brought it in for a MIL light (EVAP system set it off) I told them to check my power steering, as the level is low. They claimed no leaks and topped off. I get home, drive up my ramps and look at the rack and pinion (after browsing TSB's after the fact...) and noticed the weeping rack & pinion. So much for the dealers being able to do anything without asking? Now I'll print the TSB, and tell them specific to check the passenger boot on the rack and pinion as its weeping.

Thanks for bringing this up. My wifes Jeep was built between that time and today I checked and it's weeping on the passenger side bellow. I will bring it in tomorrow to the dealer.

We are within 50 miles of the bumper to bumper running out.

Nbtstatic 04-07-2014 05:44 PM

Bumping this up because I want to say thanks.

I just got this done, and I am happy to say my Maxcare warranty saved me a Grand on this...

The normal warranty expired in October 2013. I noticed my power steering reservoir was below min, so I slid underneath and had a very wet bellow on the steering rack.

NB

PurdueMET 04-15-2014 05:26 PM

Just had the same thing on mine only it is MY14 wk2 Limited. Only 12,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

binford6100 05-06-2014 07:04 PM

My 2011 GC is at the dealer right now having the rack replaced. I had the power steering growl for a week or two and the driver side is showing a fluid leak. I'm at just over 40k miles, but purchased the extended warranty so it should be covered.

Oddly enough, the warranty under writer has to send an inspector to look at my Jeep before authorizing the repair. The service advisor told me they do this for the more expensive repairs. It seems like a needless delay if you ask me.