Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Pans,Pans and More Pans (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/pans-pans-and-more-pans-38833.html)

cheapjeep 03-12-2012 10:05 PM

Pans,Pans and More Pans

I'm gonna take my new oil pan and also the tranny pan to Rhino Linings of Altoona later this week for some bedliner treatment. No more rotten ravenous rust for this dude. Also they now do colors. Hmmm....... wonder if they can match my toxic green? I am seriously considering red though. I also have decided I'm gonna farm this job out to the pros as I just cant seem to set aside two months for an oil pan job right now:lol::lol:Actually I'M SICK OF LAYING UNDERNEATH THE THING! I'll post some pics of the pans when I get them back.

01grand 03-13-2012 08:25 AM

Re: Pans,Pans and More Pans

Sounds like a great idea! I really think you should stick with the toxic green though....:lol:

If you choose red make sure its a deep red, too light and it might look orange, and if it even has a hint of orange (not gonna say the other color) Tony might go off the deep end!:rolllol::screwy:

Anyway... I know how you feel about being sick of laying under the damn thing, if I can keep it to just oil changes for a while this will be one happy jeeper. Lol maybe thats why my current mod ideas have all changed to lighting...

Good luck with it, post pics when you get them lined!

TJXJWJ 03-13-2012 08:27 AM

Hahahahahhahahhahaha

StoneCold 03-13-2012 08:35 AM

Awwww I thought this was thread about cookware! Damn you Dave! :lol:

Great idea though, I'll have to look into it myself. Definitely post pics when it's done:thumbsup:

Martyp 03-13-2012 01:50 PM

Sweet.

When I get a built trans I wanna get it painted Mopar orange - would love to get the block done orange too but I'd need to be doing some boring for that to happen. Look forward to seeing the pics!

Amelie 03-13-2012 05:17 PM

If it's Red, It better be Blood Red

cheapjeep 03-16-2012 12:33 PM

Well I'm gonna swing by my favorite shop today for an inspection and to get an estimate on how much its gonna cost me to have him change out my oil pan. I'll let you guys know what the damages will be if he'll even do it.

cheapjeep 03-17-2012 11:10 AM

Well good news. My guy at Arks garage told me between $100 and$150 depending on whether he has to mess with the exhaust. Not too bad. I think that's worth it not to lay on the ground and try to change it myself. In other news Ta Da!!!!!!!!! Pa Legal. She passed inspection! First time back on the streets since the end of September.Had them check it over with a fine tooth comb cause you all know who was working on it all winter:lol::lol: Even did a little pipeline romp session and got it muddy on the way home to see how the new suspension works. Took it easy though I'm afraid of that oil pan failing.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...MG042Small.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...MG037Small.jpg

xJoshxx 03-25-2012 07:48 PM

i would be worried about heat dissipation you want to keep that trans cool as possible.

Will the lining hold up to 200+ F oil pan heat?

cheapjeep 03-26-2012 11:10 AM

Good point. Gonna double check the temp thing. As far as the heat dissipation thing goes I really don't think the pans contribute that much but I have coolers on both anyway so I think that end of it will be alright.

FlyinRyan 03-29-2012 04:35 PM

Rhinolining is the last type of material I would use.....just my .02 .....

I would use a liberal coating of high-temp paint, and call it good.

cheapjeep 03-30-2012 11:51 PM

Down there that would probably work Ryan but these beer can pans have a life expectancy of about 4 to 5 years up here. If I wouldn't have had to replace one in a 5 year old Durango and knew to watch for rust the pan on my WJ would have been long gone when it was 4 years old. Ive been painting and sanding every year since. This year it's shot. I'm looking for a permanent solution to this pan thing cause once it starts rusting it's all over but the crying no matter what you do. Pro applied bedliner seemed like the answer. I haven't had the time to get it sprayed yet because the place is pretty far and I have a daunting headliner project going onin the motorhome that I wish I would have never started right now. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't do it? Brand new pan,temp limit of the liner is 275 deg and I don't think it's gonna create any oil temp issues with an oil cooler. But I've never used a lining for something like this. If there's gonna be an issue I'll have to come up with something else. I really have to get off my @ss and get moving on this cause I think one well placed stone would finish off the pan on there now.