Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Lockpick + Aftermarket Sub/Amp (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/lockpick-aftermarket-sub-amp-38842.html)

GELOverland 03-13-2012 01:07 AM

Lockpick + Aftermarket Sub/Amp

So now that I have confirmed that the lockpick does not interfere with the GPS, I am hoping to install a JL Audio 12w6 and 500/1v2 amplifier. I have the 730n from a 2012 Overland. Has anyone tried to hook up an aftermarket subwoofer to a lockpick?

Thanks and feel free to speak up even if you just installed a sub to the 730n since the only way I am aware of is to use a PAC adapter. I am trying to learn more about how to modify our "premium" system.

GELOverland 03-15-2012 07:44 AM

Re: Lockpick + Aftermarket Sub/Amp

bump for anyone who has put in a new sub/amp while keeping the factory 730n! I'm trying to figure out what I need for the install, i.e. equalizer or PAC, lockpick etc.

Thanks all!

Tybalt39 03-15-2012 11:04 AM

OK, I'll take the plunge....

Are you thinking about bypassing the whole CANbus issue and speaker-level output issue by using the AUX audio output of the Lockpick to run external amplifiers?

From the CHR550 website: Also, the CHR550 provides outputs for audio and video to external screens or headrests.

From the CHR550 manual: Set to SCRN, to make the output the same as what it being sent to the front screen.

If this can be done, and if I am interpreting the above statements correctly, then the entire amplifier/speaker system could (in theory) be bypassed/replaced using standard components and the Lockpick as the low-level signal source. Just ignore the video capability. You would lose fader capability, but this may not be a major issue. Of course, if you just want to run a sub-woofer system in parallel with the factory system, this could be an easy way to do it.

GELOverland 03-15-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 594238)
OK, I'll take the plunge....

Are you thinking about bypassing the whole CANbus issue and speaker-level output issue by using the AUX audio output of the Lockpick to run external amplifiers?

From the CHR550 website: Also, the CHR550 provides outputs for audio and video to external screens or headrests.

From the CHR550 manual: Set to SCRN, to make the output the same as what it being sent to the front screen.

If this can be done, and if I am interpreting the above statements correctly, then the entire amplifier/speaker system could (in theory) be bypassed/replaced using standard components and the Lockpick as the low-level signal source. Just ignore the video capability. You would lose fader capability, but this may not be a major issue. Of course, if you just want to run a sub-woofer system in parallel with the factory system, this could be an easy way to do it.

Yeah that was sort of what I was thinking. I want to replace the sub and keep my 730n but did not know if there was another way to hook it up other than the PAC. As of today, I just discovered that you do not need a PAC to install an additional amp and can use a line converter from the factory amp. My main concern was that since a PAC uses the same wires as the lockpick, if I were to want a aftermarket stereo, I could never use a lockpick. However, the line converter solves this issue.

I also spoke with Coastal and they said their lockpicks would not support outputs for an amp, even though they have RCA outputs for the video. I am not sure why there would be a difference between the two.