Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Another Warranty Question - Change Lifetime to 7? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/another-warranty-question-change-lifetime-to-7-a-38844.html)

rustyosaurus 03-13-2012 01:29 AM

Another Warranty Question - Change Lifetime to 7?

I bought the lifetime warranty for $1900 when I purchased my new Overland. I've been thinking about canceling it and instead getting one of the 7 year warranties instead, but I can't decide.

Originally, I thought I would have the Jeep for 10 years, which justified the extra cost of the warranty (about $1000 difference), but now I'm not so sure. I love the Overland so much but I'm really not sure about the reliability of Jeep. I know I'll be covered for any repair but I don't want to be going into the shop all the time. I already have my first issue at 1000 miles.

And I like that the 7 year is transferable, which I think is a selling point if for any reason I need to sell.

I will definitely have this Jeep for 7 years, but I'm not use beyond that and I don't want to throw away $1000 if I don't need to.

Does anyone else have a thought about the 7 year vs lifetime?

peckmv 03-13-2012 07:34 AM

Re: Another Warranty Question - Change Lifetime to 7?

I not one for extended warranties, but it sounds like for $1000 savings, that makes it a no brainer.;)

rockrash 03-13-2012 07:44 AM

Depends how long you intend to keep it. Do you get tired of vehicles ?

rustyosaurus 03-13-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockrash (Post 592635)
Depends how long you intend to keep it. Do you get tired of vehicles ?

i kept my last SUV for 5 years and traded it in for the Overland. i wasn't tired of it, but i wanted more features/luxury.

i plan to have the Overland for 7 years at least, unless there end up being problems with it. but not i'm not so sure i'll keep it past 7. seems like there will be a lot of amazing car innovations in 7 years that i'll want to take advantage of.

normally i wouldn't be so paranoid about an extended warranty. in fact i promised myself i would never buy one again after my last 3rd party company went bankrupt and F everyone over but i just don't trust Jeep reliability yet.

i wish i could buy the lifetime but then have an option of transferring it or cashing out at 7 years or before if i wanted. that would be the best of both worlds.

rockrash 03-13-2012 07:56 AM

Yea to bad its not transferable.I think you answered your own question on the 7 years.

Dan JGC 03-13-2012 08:27 AM

My last Grand Cherokee I had for six years (most ever for a vehicle) and didn't have even a single repair issue....ZERO. The build date was about 6 months after the new WK model was first being made.

As for lifetime warranty --- in Florida and North Carolina it is transferable for $40/$50 respectively. That is why I got it since I live in Florida. The only other time I bought an extended warranty was with my first GC --- the first year GC's were made...and there were a lot of repairs with that one so I bought the extended warranty and it paid off.

If I were you, I'd plan on keeping the WK2 for no more than 7 years and go with the 7 year warranty (with whatever mileage).