Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Need advice for getting parts painted! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/need-advice-for-getting-parts-painted-38846.html)

remmy 03-13-2012 04:02 AM

Need advice for getting parts painted!

Hello Jeepers. Got a question. Now that I've finally paid off my WK (Whoo!) I need some stuff replaced and painted.

The jeep is a tick over 90k now and it's had some bruises along the way. I need new front and rear bumpers (parking lot dings/crunches that are too bad to buff out and bondo) and the hood is full of rock chips. I know can source the bumpers for decent prices (unless you guys got better methods) but I don't know jack sh*t about getting paint done. I DO know that you gotta pay to play and Maaco isn't your friend. But I'm not looking to drop $3k parts and paint. The rest of the body is pretty good so I assuming somewhat of a 'fade' job will need to go down.

I plan on scrubbing the crap out of the Jeep and doing a major clay bar to the whole truck (minus the stuff that needs painting) and only then waxing the whole thing over AFTER painting gets done.

TLDR; Need rock chipped hood painted, need to buy front and rear bumpers to get painted. Rest of body in pretty good condition. Don't want to spend a ton of money.
I need help!

Redpit 03-13-2012 12:54 PM

Re: Need advice for getting parts painted!

For your bumpers I personally would not pay the price for fading. Plastic and metal almost always take differently to paint. You even can see this in new cars. I would just get the bumpers painted. A good shop should be able to get real close color match wise. Should run about $400 a bumper/panel.

That's just me. If you are absolutely anal and can justify your costs than get it faded. For a car with 90k, that seems like a waste to me.

For the hood I would look into Dr. Colorchip.

remmy 03-15-2012 06:49 PM

I payed it off and though the truck has 90k miles on it, the engine has 15K. I plan on driving it until the steering whell falls off so I want to at least make it nice again as my OCD is going nuts.

Chaoul1 03-15-2012 07:05 PM

I bought my Front Bumper off eBay for like $108 Shipped. I then got it painted at the Dealership.

Look on eBay or a Junk Yard. That's what I would do.

As for the paint, just use quality products and use our Vendor www.DetailedImage.com you can't beat their products and you'll know your Paint will look great right after using their stuff.

remmy 03-15-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like you got the same trim I do. Does that chrome fascia come off the front bumper?

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-15-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remmy (Post 594655)
Thanks for the info. Looks like you got the same trim I do. Does that chrome fascia come off the front bumper?

Yes but there are holes under it