Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   Hello and need advise about JKU Sahara (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/hello-and-need-advise-about-jku-sahara-38865.html)

Aiyer 03-13-2012 04:20 PM

Hello and need advise about JKU Sahara

Hello all:

I have been lurking here since Aug of last year and mostly spending time between this forum and WK2. I initially wanted the WK2, but I like the Unlimited Sahara edition better. I currently own a 98 ZJ w/ 159k miles...

I have not test driven any of the new Jeeps for the fear of buying it the same day. :) Few questions I would like the fellow jeepers to chime in.

1. My commute to work is on I-25 and the speed limit is 75mph with steep climbs. My current ZJ struggles to keep up at 60mph going up hill. How will the JKU Sahara do? Must I have 3.73 gearing or will 3.21 be sufficient?

2. I live in Denver Colorado area, so what kind of mileage can I expect from this vehicle? My ZJ gives 16-17mpg.

3. Here is the list of options I must have.

Supplemental Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
5-Speed Automatic W5A580 Transmission
Leather Trimmed Seats ++
Black 3-Piece Hard Top **
Trac-LokŪ Limited Slip Rear Differential
Media Center 430N SAT/CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV
Connectivity Group
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio ****

++ I must have heated seats, so I thought the difference is only $650 to upgrade to leather. so why not!?
** Can I buy an aftermarket soft top if I need it later? What would that cost?
**** Is this a necessity for the place I live? I have steep grades on I-70 when going for skiing, etc. Does this effect mileage? If so, by how much?

And final question:
#4. Do I need the connectivity group or is it included in the Media center 430N? I think they are separate and I need to have them both.

I am very close to buying the Jeep... it can happen this week or the next week.

I look forward from all suggestions and advice from the folks who actually drive this than from the salesman at the dealerships. :)

Cheers,
Aiyer

Aiyer 03-16-2012 10:39 AM

Re: Hello and need advise about JKU Sahara

Really? no one wants to say anything? Can I delete this thread? Admins, please delete this thread... thanks.

Pat@FieldsAuto 03-16-2012 05:15 PM

3.73 all the way. I have the 4.10 in my 12 and at 65-70 taching around 2400 rpms I average 18.7 I have a 65 mile round trip commute daily. The 3.21 would probably be sufficient, but if there is ever a chance you might put on larger tires get the 3.73.

The leather is nice, but it gets really hot in the summer if the top is off. I'd opt for the cloth heated seats and save the $650 for other cool mods.

You can buy a soft top aftermarket, check out Bestop. They have many different ones available.

You do need the connectivity group with the 430n if you want the EVIC and bluetooth. 430n is garmin based with no voice command for the nav. When you pony up for the 730n you get voice command and bluetooth since the bluetooth module is in the radio. When you get the 730n, connectivity goes to $60 since all you are adding is the EVIC. Basically I think the difference between the 430n and 730n with connectivity is a few hundred bucks.

Just my opinion here and remember I'm nothing more than a car salesman when I say this. This forum seems to be geared more toward GCs and I have noticed that there isn't much going on for Wranglers here. With that being said I think you should ask any questions you have and once someone who knows the answers or has real world experiences to share with you will chime in and that info will help you make your own decisions.

Aiyer 03-19-2012 11:12 AM

Patrick,

Many thanks for your inputs.

I spoke to a 4 door wrangler sahara 2007 owner and the jeep's computer shows 14.4 mpg average. I love the Jeeps... wranglers in particular. But with a family, it only makes sense to have 4 door wrangler.

I test drove a hard top Sahara on Friday and I liked it. It kinda felt that it was having a hard time pushing 70 mpg though. I will test drive it again today and see if I still like it.

Also, i read a few posts of yours about offering good Employee Purchase prices for new 2012 jeeps. Is this FFP or EP numbers you are offering?

many thanks again!
-Aiyer

Aiyer 03-19-2012 03:53 PM

Just an update.

Test drove again and the mpg shows 19.4 on the highway. I also test drove a WK2 and boy! I love it! I am getting a GC Limited.

thanks very much...

Fellows 04-08-2012 07:07 AM

Did you pull the trigger on getting the GC yet? Looking at what you're looking for it seems to be a better bet. I have a GC and was test driving Wrangler's (possible replacement for another car). Even though they have the same engine, its a world of difference. Wrangler has a hard time keeping up on the interstate. Ideally I'd like to have both.

Scottina06 04-08-2012 12:32 PM

I have the 3.6 in my 2011 Durango and it seems to downshift on steep grades. You may want to look into the hemi with the area you live and what you are describing.