Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   finally got overland wheels (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/finally-got-overland-wheels-38876.html)

Diezel134 03-13-2012 08:37 PM

finally got overland wheels

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got rid of the stock limited wheels and got the hyper silver overland 20"s love it so far, after careful consideration of tires and wanting to keep same mph as what i had i just went with the stock 265/50/20 forteras, and from my research buying them not from a dealership are better than the ones that come on the overlands from the factory...

TheJeepSter 03-13-2012 09:20 PM

Congrats on the rims :cool:
Can you shed light on how you bought the oem tire from a non oem supplier is better:confused: just wondering. I agree most oem tires are crappy, but how is it better buying the same crap somewhere else
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Diezel134 03-14-2012 02:40 AM

Re: finally got overland wheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJeepSter (Post 593182)
Congrats on the rims :cool:
Can you shed light on how you bought the oem tire from a non oem supplier is better:confused: just wondering. I agree most oem tires are crappy, but how is it better buying the same crap somewhere else
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Supposedly manufacturerers and dealerships buy in bulk and get not as good quality products even though the same. A lot of my friends work for tire companies. And I've read it on jeep garage somewhere as well.

Eric67 03-14-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diezel134 (Post 593341)
Supposedly manufacturerers and dealerships buy in bulk and get not as good quality products even though the same. A lot of my friends work for tire companies. And I've read it on jeep garage somewhere as well.

To me that sounds like something the local tire shop would say. Do you really think that a tire manufacturer has a seperate assambly line for crappy bulk orders ? :slapfight:

bmrisko 03-14-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diezel134 (Post 593341)

Even thought this is totally false, if it were true, you have it backwards...many people argue that OEM gets the better tires. It is all BS though.

Diezel134 03-14-2012 03:13 PM

Whether I'm right or wrong, just glad to finally have this wheel/tire set up

Brewster 03-14-2012 06:12 PM

Congrats. looks great. I want to upgrade as well.

So the hyper silver are the painted ones correct, not the polished like we have? Care to share where you got them? I have not seen any here since I joined in December, I've been scared of the Ebay sets. The dealer wants $1800, just for wheels.

Diezel134 03-15-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 593722)
Congrats. looks great. I want to upgrade as well.

So the hyper silver are the painted ones correct, not the polished like we have? Care to share where you got them? I have not seen any here since I joined in December, I've been scared of the Ebay sets. The dealer wants $1800, just for wheels.

The ones I have in this pic are hyper silver (painted) got them on eBay for $900 plus shipping and then $50 for center caps. The tires cost $772 at discount tire with certificates my friend works there though. If u want the eBay site I can give it to u or Try this I also have the guys number... Pm me if u need any help. I live in az.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e12052...AMOTORS%3A1123

anotherjeep 03-15-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diezel134 (Post 593604)
Whether I'm right or wrong, just glad to finally have this wheel/tire set up

I must say I do believe you as I used to own a Nissan Titan and only got 25k out of the stock good for a years, and numerous other people had the same problem, some only getting 18k out of them. They did stick behind the warranty though. I just dont think goodyears quality is there anymore. I have been a religious michelin buyer ever since. No complaints to this day.

AAAA 03-15-2012 11:21 AM

We have debated this OEM vs. retail tire thing on another thread. Moosehead posted a good article saying that OEM is the better tire. Though many years ago there was the divorce of Firestone and Ford over the Explorer OEM tire durability. It was said that tires going to Explorer factory had one less belt than retail version in order to make price per tire specified by Ford. We are not in the loop so we really do not know.

Brewster 03-15-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diezel134 (Post 594021)
The ones I have in this pic are hyper silver (painted) got them on eBay for $900 plus shipping and then $50 for center caps. The tires cost $772 at discount tire with certificates my friend works there though. If u want the eBay site I can give it to u or Try this I also have the guys number... Pm me if u need any help. I live in az.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e12052...AMOTORS%3A1123

Thanks Diezel!!

kkreit01 03-16-2012 03:57 PM

I'm a firm believer in this -- although in general, do not think the Forteras are a great tire. I had OE Cross Terrains on a Mariner. Everyone raves about them. I thought they were mediocre at best. It's true that car manufacturers strike deals with tire manufactures. Not all Forteras (or many other OE tire for that matter) are created equally. There's a reason for this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...65&diameter=17

Check how many Fortera HL Edition there are in 245/65/17! They range from $129 - $175. Click on each, and then click the OE tab. First @ $129 is for Jeep. Second @ $142 is for Explorer, etc. etc. I can bet you the one for $175 (with NO "OE" tab) is the best.

PS. Sorry to hijack your thread. Your new wheels look great! Fortera are a great looking tire, and ride pretty good. I had them as OE on a Sport Trac. They would have needed replacing before 30k.