Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Should I get Quadra-Lift? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/should-i-get-quadra-lift-38890.html)

iwearpumas 03-14-2012 12:12 AM

Should I get Quadra-Lift?

I've been reading the threads and I've been reading how many have been having problems with their QL. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to have. I live in NYC, the only issue we have are pot holes, and some snow in the winter. I'll be honest, the 2010-2011 winter season was horrendous, and I vowed that my next vehicle will be an SUV. Well it almost time for me to get a new vehicle and I am soon purchasing a GC. I already have a Hemi in my Magnum RT, and I just don't feel the need for another Hemi, been there done that already. I plan on getting the GC Limited, with the selec terrain, but I'm trying to figure out if I should get it with the QL package. Any input helps, thanks.

seanster 03-14-2012 02:44 AM

Re: Should I get Quadra-Lift?

If it fits into your budget, I would suggest getting it.

You are only going to hear about problems during a model's initial run, I wouldn't worry about it. These forums are where problems/concerns are raised, but eventually, they're sorted out at the factory for later production runs. Issues, even with initial models are taken care of through warranty. Overall, the GC is very reliable. There are many users on this forum, in fact, that are completely happy with their A/S system.

A/S does help with ride comfort as well as off-road agility. You'll wonder why Jeep took so long bringing it into the fold. LR, VW, MB, Audi have had adjustable A/S systems for years, now. You can thank the Daimler marriage for at least the A/S system and platform.

Have you driven one? I would do that first. Drive a QL and non-QL back-to-back.

BTW I've always loved those Magnum RTs. Hang onto that thing.

sined240 03-14-2012 03:54 AM

Pat from Fields Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge said in a recent thread that 70% of their allocation goes towards Overlands. If that were true for most big dealers which happens to be in the east coast region, there are a lot of GC with QL out there. Now I don't see how there are that many posts about the system having problems.

I for one had my Summit for the past 8 months with 9000 miles and not one hiccup at all. We daily drive ours too. Would not go without one ever again on my future SUVs.

Jdsmitty10 03-14-2012 05:00 AM

I chose not to get the ql because I was worried about the long run if I keep my jeep for a while. To me it was just something else to go wrong. Plus I have no reason for it. Refuse to offroad a 40k vehicle so I don't need the lift. Of course I think It would be awesome to have but decided to stay away from it and ordered a limited loaded up just like an overland minus ql.

rockrash 03-14-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwearpumas (Post 593301)
I've been reading the threads and I've been reading how many have been having problems with their QL. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to have. I live in NYC, the only issue we have are pot holes, and some snow in the winter. I'll be honest, the 2010-2011 winter season was horrendous, and I vowed that my next vehicle will be an SUV. Well it almost time for me to get a new vehicle and I am soon purchasing a GC. I already have a Hemi in my Magnum RT, and I just don't feel the need for another Hemi, been there done that already. I plan on getting the GC Limited, with the selec terrain, but I'm trying to figure out if I should get it with the QL package. Any input helps, thanks.

Was concerned also but for all the Overlands out there not many complaints. Remember most of the time only problems get posted looking for help. Long story short ordered my Overland 2 days ago and will be buying a lifetime warranty with in a year for long term problems. With all the high end gadgets to me its a must. Go for the Overland Good Luck.

Yaccster 03-14-2012 05:44 AM

No QL here, no regrets, but it wasn't an option for mine.

peckmv 03-14-2012 05:50 AM

If the only "offroading" you will be doing is dodging potholes in NYC then its a waste of money. I actually use mine for what it was built for....wheelin'. I also have a cabin in the mountains and its not unusual to have a foot or more of snow on the unpaved roads so the QL is a plus. My QL has been trouble free and these systems have been out for years so the long term problems are a slim chance. Hope this helps.:D

rockrash 03-14-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 593377)
If the only "offroading" you will be doing is dodging potholes in NYC then its a waste of money. I actually use mine for what it was built for....wheelin'. I also have a cabin in the mountains and its not unusual to have a foot or more of snow on the unpaved roads so the QL is a plus. My QL has been trouble free and these systems have been out for years so the long term problems are a slim chance. Hope this helps.:D

If i lived in N.Y.C. i wouldn't buy a car. :lol:

Red G8R 03-14-2012 11:31 AM

My Overland came with QL. When I bought mine in Sept. 2010, it was a new feature for Jeep and this "elevated" it to compete with oher more luxurious SUVs.

I do lower mine every time I park for better exit/entry, but that's all. I've never gone off roading and the snow is never too deep for me to raise it. I don't think I would miss it if I didn't have it assuming the non-QL sits lower to gegin with.

In January, my QL failed with a big warning in the EVIC for immediate service. The Jeep sat extremely low and the ride was harsh to the dealer. It spent 3 days there and in the end they could not find a leak but changed the compressor as suggested by Chrysler. So far so good.

So, I do like the feature but it may give future problems and despite this hiccup, I love this Overland.

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 11:40 AM

If you do not tow, then what's the point. Just another issue down the road.

peckmv 03-14-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockrash (Post 593378)
If i lived in N.Y.C. i wouldn't buy a car. :lol:

Good point. :D Matter of fact, I wouldn't live in NYC, but thats just me.:slapfight:

iwearpumas 03-14-2012 02:51 PM

Truth be told, I would probably only use it so I can lower it to park. Or maybe to show off. Maybe I'll drive to the Poconos once a year, but I'm not one to drive on trails. I also wouldn't want to have to pay for servicing because the QL is acting up. I hope they would cover that, but it's still a headache in its own way. But I'm sure a Jeep doesn't need QL to drive through snow.