Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Storing WK for 3 to 7 months...I have questions. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/storing-wk-for-3-to-7-months-i-have-questions-38922.html)

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 04:15 PM

Storing WK for 3 to 7 months...I have questions.

I'm going to storing my WK in a garage for 3 to 7 months. What do I need to do before I store it?

I already know to:

-Fill the tank with 93 with fuel stabilizer
-Fresh engine oil
-Disconnect battery.

What else do I need to do?

Do I need to worry about flat spots on the tires? That is my main concern.

dr.lee.baugh 03-14-2012 04:33 PM

Re: Storing WK for 3 to 7 months...I have questions.

I would also add a fuel stabilizer to prevent it from going bad and disconnect the battery.

I wouldn't be too concerned about flat spots on the tires for that time frame, provided you don't have winter rubber on at the moment.

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 593653)
I would also add a fuel stabilizer to prevent it from going bad and disconnect the battery.

I wouldn't be too concerned about flat spots on the tires for that time frame, provided you don't have winter rubber on at the moment.

But what if I'm can have somebody crank it and let it run for about 15 minutes twice per month? Is having somebody do that nessesary?

Redpit 03-14-2012 05:35 PM

If you wanted to go the extra mile you could fog the cylinders. It will help prevent rusting. We do it to our boat. It's very debatable if its needed, but you can't be too safe. If somebody is going to start it now and then it's definately not needed.

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 05:36 PM

You're talking about dropping oil on top of the cylinders right?

JMLoughrey 03-14-2012 08:46 PM

If you are worried about flat spots, you could always throw it up on jackstand.

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 593839)
If you are worried about flat spots, you could always throw it up on jackstand.

Yeah...I read that somewhere. Is it neccassry for my time frame?

Redpit 03-14-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 593699)
You're talking about dropping oil on top of the cylinders right?

Yeah, we use something like this though:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H7..._d_detail?pd=1

dr.lee.baugh 03-14-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 593674)
But what if I'm can have somebody crank it and let it run for about 15 minutes twice per month? Is having somebody do that nessesary?

That'd work too to keep the battery charged.

I would still add the fuel stabilizer. That tank of gas is going to sit for months, and it typically begins to degrade over a span of a few weeks. Certainly worth the couple bucks to throw it in the tank, IMO.

This was an interesting read when I first encountered it:

http://autos.aol.com/article/does-gas-go-bad/

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 593882)
That'd work too to keep the battery charged.

I would still add the fuel stabilizer. That tank of gas is going to sit for months, and it typically begins to degrade over a span of a few weeks. Certainly worth the couple bucks to throw it in the tank, IMO.

Oh that's a must. I'm defiantly doing that. Thanks.

Bikemobile 03-14-2012 10:04 PM

Radial tires can flat spot but bias plies were the real bad flat spotters. Fuel stabilizer(stabil) is a good idea. Disconnect the battery. Trickle charge it for a day before you start it when you get back. Starting it for 15 min periodically is good too.

I have a 1936 chevy street rod in my garage. It goes months without starting between november and february. Sometimes it needs a charge to get going. The fuel seems ok. The motor is 10:1 compression and very picky with fuel. The tires are radials and have flat spotted before but it goes away in a few miles. No worries on that.

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemobile (Post 593913)
Radial tires can flat spot but bias plies were the real bad flat spotters. Fuel stabilizer(stabil) is a good idea. Disconnect the battery. Trickle charge it for a day before you start it when you get back. Starting it for 15 min periodically is good too.

I have a 1936 chevy street rod in my garage. It goes months without starting between november and february. Sometimes it needs a charge to get going. The fuel seems ok. The motor is 10:1 compression and very picky with fuel. The tires are radials and have flat spotted before but it goes away in a few miles. No worries on that.

Good post. Very good post.