Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Junk/Salvage yards...worth it? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/junk-salvage-yards-worth-it-38923.html)

mcalc55 03-14-2012 04:23 PM

Junk/Salvage yards...worth it?

Here and there I see mention of junk / salvage yards for parts...is it really that reasonable of an idea? On a whim I called one and he laughed about having a car like that...was it just that I called the wrong kind of yard?

Where do nice cars go to die?

Any other advice/pointers? Or do you just have to get so lucky it's not even worth digging around

dr.lee.baugh 03-14-2012 04:30 PM

Re: Junk/Salvage yards...worth it?

I think it really depends on the salvage yard, and what you are looking for!

There are certainly plenty of written off 2005 - 2010 WKs around at this point that should make finding most salvage parts relatively easy.

The easiest way (I have found anyway...) to source used parts is through an aggregate search engine like car-parts.com. This will search the inventory of many yards for what you are looking for. May not always be something close, but most places are willing to ship.

Fourbynut 03-14-2012 04:33 PM

Depending on what parts you are looking for they can be a bargain. And yes you have to kind of know what vehicles are at the particular yard you are calling. Some may have really old vehicles and not handle many newer models. A good place to search is carparts.com, you can enter what you are searching for and also narrow the search to the closest yards to you or search the entire country.

mcalc55 03-14-2012 04:46 PM

Ok cool, yeah I came across that too...I'd be looking specifically toward SRT parts, you know..the nice stuff us WK owners just add on to 'pretend'...not really looking for standard laredo trim stuff really. If I got something crazy like intact rims, seats, springs, body kits..who knows, I'll start with car-parts i suppose

Scottina06 03-14-2012 06:32 PM

www.car-part.com

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcalc55 (Post 593648)
Here and there I see mention of junk / salvage yards for parts...is it really that reasonable of an idea? On a whim I called one and he laughed about having a car like that...was it just that I called the wrong kind of yard?

Where do nice cars go to die?

Any other advice/pointers? Or do you just have to get so lucky it's not even worth digging around

:lol: Post of the week.

mcalc55 03-14-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lll2for3lll (Post 593740)
:lol: Post of the week.

Haha oh great..i'm already getting a reputation..

mcalc55 03-14-2012 07:54 PM

on a side note, this got me thinking..you know how you can be an organ donor on your license, I think you should also be a mod donor. I mean I wouldn't want my good kidney to go to waste if someone could benefit..why not a sweet set of tail lights or SRT seats? I mean why should a car have to go all the way to the junk yard for that. We should start up an exclusive club you can sign up into if you have a modded car. In the event you wreck, your parts get donated and sold (you keep the cash) but at the same time you could cherry pick from other moders if they crash!..

08Hemi 03-14-2012 08:03 PM

Check out Cleveland-pick-a-part I bought all interior trim pieces from them...pleasure to deal with and always have jeep parts

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcalc55 (Post 593797)
Haha oh great..i'm already getting a reputation..

No no no my friend.....your post was great. Made me piss my pants. Thanks man.

Where do the nice cars go to die. Lol. So funny.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-14-2012 11:41 PM

I bought almost every part on my car including wheels and srt interior from junk yards

phox 03-15-2012 09:54 AM

don't know where you're from, but brandywine auto parts here in maryland is HUGE (like 10 locations or something, based on make and model)

and you can get pretty much anything you want from them. they even have a database of their cars and will go pull a part for you if you're lazy!