Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Ignition is locked up! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/ignition-is-locked-up-38934.html)

dbearden628@charter.net 03-14-2012 06:34 PM

Ignition is locked up!

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Loredo. I put my foot on the brake while starting, as always, but I can't seem to get the key to turn. It's in park and the steering wheel is not locked. I bought this car new and have never had this happen.

Anyone have any advise?

lll2for3lll 03-14-2012 06:38 PM

Re: Ignition is locked up!

Rotate the steering wheel while turning the key.

I had to do that with a friend's car. I just rotated the steering wheel in randomly until the key dropped/turned.

Worth a try. I guess.

Frango100 03-14-2012 09:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It could be a faulty key cilinder, but it could also be a misadjustment of the brake transmission interlock cable.
Here follows the procedure to check and adjust the cable.

2005JGC 03-14-2012 09:53 PM

failing lock cylinder is pretty common on the wj... you sorta need to be able to turn the key to get the lock cylinder out to replace it... realistically the lock mechanism is replaced with the lock cylinder so if it takes a punch and a BFH, do what it takes ;)

If you need to get it somewhere you can try sticking the key in the ignition and GENTLY with a plastic or rubber hammer bump on the end of the key while trying to turn it, ive found this to have about a 70% success rate when its required.

dbearden628@charter.net 03-15-2012 09:45 AM

Thanks 2005JGC. The hammer trick worked! I was able to get it to the shop. I was dreading having to call a tow truck.

SvenskaJeepGuy 03-15-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 593900)
failing lock cylinder is pretty common on the wj... you sorta need to be able to turn the key to get the lock cylinder out to replace it... realistically the lock mechanism is replaced with the lock cylinder so if it takes a punch and a BFH, do what it takes ;)

If you need to get it somewhere you can try sticking the key in the ignition and GENTLY with a plastic or rubber hammer bump on the end of the key while trying to turn it, ive found this to have about a 70% success rate when its required.

X2 this happened on my old WJ

2005JGC 03-15-2012 03:40 PM

Glad I could help!

DrLocke 03-16-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbearden628@charter.net (Post 593739)
I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Loredo. I put my foot on the brake while starting, as always, but I can't seem to get the key to turn. It's in park and the steering wheel is not locked. I bought this car new and have never had this happen.

Anyone have any advise?

First thing to do is lubricate the cylinder. Sounds silly, but get some silicone lube and squirt it into the key hole and then work the key back and forth a few times.
Then check your front wheels to make sure they are not up against the curb and putting a strain on the locking mechanism. If so rotate steering wheel as suggested previously.
Hope one of these suggestions help.

2005JGC 03-16-2012 12:55 PM

I could be wrong but chrysler hasnt used steering wheel locks in YEARS (except export), that said I cannot remember off the top of my head if the wj does or does not lock for sure.