Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   aFe Power 5.7L CAI (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/afe-power-5-7l-cai-38941.html)

ooja3k 03-14-2012 08:03 PM

aFe Power 5.7L CAI

Monday I handed my Jeep over to aFe power so that they could do some prototyping and testing of a new CAI system for the 5.7L Hemi.

After 3 days of designing/test fitting I will be getting the car back tomorrow with a prototype on it to drive over the weekend.

They have asked that I not post pictures as it is not a final design, but I will definitely give my feedback and thoughts to you guys here.

For reference I did have the Volant system installed for a couple months before returning it to stock for aFe to play with, so I do have a pretty solid idea of how the Volant system sounds and feels so that I can compare it to the aFe intake.

cbowen 03-14-2012 10:12 PM

Re: aFe Power 5.7L CAI

Looking forward to the feedback. I am thinking of getting a CAI and trying to decide which to go with.

armoredsaint 03-14-2012 10:36 PM

I would love to see real dyno tests - butt dyno and comparing sounds can be all psychological.

ooja3k 03-14-2012 10:43 PM

Butt dyno definitely psychological..

Sound, ehh, maybe. I have an interior recording already done for the volant and will definitely make another with the aFe. I should be able to get a pretty decent comparison with sound.

Once the prototype has been tested, they will make a short production run during which they will take my car for another couple days, test fit their production model, take installation pictures for the instruction booklet, and do pre/post dyno tests to make sure its performing how they want.

I am personally excited about having pre/post dyno papers of my own Jeep in my hand at the completion. The free part doesn't hurt either ;)

PS: Definitely had some dillo dust on my pork chops tonight ;)

nonopr01 03-15-2012 07:01 AM

Forget about the sound we want to see dyno number. That is what the CAI is all about.

BuckeyeSRT 03-15-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonopr01 (Post 594050)
Forget about the sound we want to see dyno number. That is what the CAI is all about.

Not for me :D

ooja3k 03-15-2012 07:43 AM

Sound is power :D

jeepster23 03-15-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonopr01 (Post 594050)

Until a tuner comes out then the power numbers mean nothing because after a while the ecu will relearn the new CAI and make changes which will in essence cancel any power increases.

ooja3k 03-15-2012 02:53 PM

Very early impressions:

1. Sound is perfect. It has a similar sound and volume to the Volant, but more refined. Hard to describe, but the Volant sounds more plastic-y and resonate-y. The aFe sounds throatier and less like the air is resonating through the plastic Volant intake.

2. That being said, their current intake pipe is metal. They have stated that it may change prior to production models and final dyno testing, but that is what is currently installed.

BuckeyeSRT 03-15-2012 07:17 PM

So with the Volant you should have beer and with the aFe wine?:)

ooja3k 03-15-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 594575)
So with the Volant you should have beer and with the aFe wine?:)

No, definitely still beer with the aFe, but instead of a Coorslight with the Volant, you need a Sierra Nevada.

No but really. After driving around with the intake on I do like the sound of the aFe a bit more. Its less "resonating plastic" sounding like the Volant is and more "full, or throaty". Volume level is approximately the same.

As for the butt dyno: I have to say I like the throttle response of the aFe along with a nice burst of pull around 4500rpm. The Volant seemed to have these "pull points" as well, but this one on the aFe is a bit more pronounced. Maybe that means the aFe loses a little bit of power up to the 4500rpm mark and then the gains come into play; who knows without a real dyno yet.

I would have to believe that the aFe flows just as much or more air than the Volant especially as aFe manufactures Volant's air filters. That being said, gains between the two are probably very similar, but so far, I like the sound of the aFe more.

armoredsaint 03-15-2012 08:04 PM

aFe makes awesome CAI for BMW's