Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

aFe Power 5.7L CAI

16K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  Kjens2004 
#1 ·
Monday I handed my Jeep over to aFe power so that they could do some prototyping and testing of a new CAI system for the 5.7L Hemi.

After 3 days of designing/test fitting I will be getting the car back tomorrow with a prototype on it to drive over the weekend.

They have asked that I not post pictures as it is not a final design, but I will definitely give my feedback and thoughts to you guys here.

For reference I did have the Volant system installed for a couple months before returning it to stock for aFe to play with, so I do have a pretty solid idea of how the Volant system sounds and feels so that I can compare it to the aFe intake.

#4 · (Edited)
Butt dyno definitely psychological..

Sound, ehh, maybe. I have an interior recording already done for the volant and will definitely make another with the aFe. I should be able to get a pretty decent comparison with sound.

Once the prototype has been tested, they will make a short production run during which they will take my car for another couple days, test fit their production model, take installation pictures for the instruction booklet, and do pre/post dyno tests to make sure its performing how they want.

I am personally excited about having pre/post dyno papers of my own Jeep in my hand at the completion. The free part doesn't hurt either ;)

PS: Definitely had some dillo dust on my pork chops tonight ;)

#9 · (Edited)
Very early impressions:

1. Sound is perfect. It has a similar sound and volume to the Volant, but more refined. Hard to describe, but the Volant sounds more plastic-y and resonate-y. The aFe sounds throatier and less like the air is resonating through the plastic Volant intake.

2. That being said, their current intake pipe is metal. They have stated that it may change prior to production models and final dyno testing, but that is what is currently installed.

#11 ·
No, definitely still beer with the aFe, but instead of a Coorslight with the Volant, you need a Sierra Nevada.

No but really. After driving around with the intake on I do like the sound of the aFe a bit more. Its less "resonating plastic" sounding like the Volant is and more "full, or throaty". Volume level is approximately the same.

As for the butt dyno: I have to say I like the throttle response of the aFe along with a nice burst of pull around 4500rpm. The Volant seemed to have these "pull points" as well, but this one on the aFe is a bit more pronounced. Maybe that means the aFe loses a little bit of power up to the 4500rpm mark and then the gains come into play; who knows without a real dyno yet.

I would have to believe that the aFe flows just as much or more air than the Volant especially as aFe manufactures Volant's air filters. That being said, gains between the two are probably very similar, but so far, I like the sound of the aFe more.

#34 ·
You mean overpriced (they all are) :p hopefully there's no such thing as a Jeep tax. I owned their dual cone intake for a while. Looking forward to it aFe, can't wait to see some numbers.

#25 ·
So, @FlyinRyan, if I was considering mods to my 5.7L, 2012, what would you recommend? And, are any of your "recommended packages" tested for hp increase?

Thanks
I think most of the WK2 mods available are pretty similiar to one another. I dont see a great deal of difference in the exhausts available, except for sound, perhaps.

As far as intakes are concerned, I haven't really kept up with the dyno results but it seems like the Volant is popular, however, maybe the AFe would be better?

Whatever provides the most, coldest air with the least amount of turbulence will net the most power.

#28 ·
Well today was a sad day.

The prototype intake was uninstalled and is headed back to aFe for them to make their final modifications to the system.

Overall I was very impressed with aFe's system and and currently posting my Volant up for sale ;)

I will update you guys when I hear about what is next for the prototype. (Hopefully final production)

#31 ·
The next time my car goes in they will be installing a production housing, with a pre production tube. They hope to have their new AWD dyno up and running by then as they are currently in the process of changing dynos.

No word on an official eta, but based on their original timeline, they will likely be perfornimg the above step in the next 2 weeks or so.

#33 ·
I would love to work out a deal like that!!!

But between being part of the design process of a new part, the new part for free, and having the car dyno'd pre and post new part, i cant ask for much else ;)

They did mention potentially designing an exhaust system after the CAI is complete.....

#38 ·
I am highly skeptical of any manufacturer's dyno numbers - they're trying to grab eyeballs and your wallet, after all. I don't want to jump too deep into an old conversation, but my experience is that a short-ram like K&N usually nets a handful of HP, if that (not even going to bring heatsoak into the conversation).

17WHP due to reduced turbulence and better air filtration? In a modern engine & ECU that probably gets more than enough air already? Without tuning? Hmm... :rolleyes:

#39 · (Edited)
I am too skeptical.

That being said, I will have real pre/post dyno sheets in my hand on Tuesday and will be able to validate and or refute any claims that are made.

One more thing to think about: 2wd vs 4wd dyno results? What car did K&N "test" their intake on? Gains at the wheel would be more significant on a 2wd vehicle as there is less drive train loss compared to 4x4? This is just a question and would like to see your opinions on it.

#44 ·
I am too skeptical.

One more thing to think about: 2wd vs 4wd dyno results? What car did K&N "test" their intake on? Gains at the wheel would be more significant on a 2wd vehicle as there is less drive train loss compared to 4x4? This is just a question and would like to see your opinions on it.
As long as you have a before & after reading from the same vehicle on the same dyno, the drive train loss isn't a factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.