Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Tranny Pan leak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/tranny-pan-leak-39066.html)

Heelsparky0501 03-16-2012 05:58 PM

Tranny Pan leak

Hey guys,

Originally when i bought my jeep from the dealer 4 months ago i had them replace the tranny pan on it. It had rusted over pretty good so i said sure why not.

After i had that done it leaked, the first time i had them reseal it and it still leaked so the second time i brought it back they re torqued the bolts supposedly.

It was pretty much leak free except for a drop every other day until now, more like a quarter sized drop a day overnight.

So i crawl under there and see that when they "re torqued" the bolts they had snapped one of the bolts heads off and smeared a bunch of rtv over it.
So i got the broken bolt out with a set of bolt extractors and put a new one in and it still leaks.

So i guess im going to have to drop the pan and re-seal it the right way.

Do they make a rubber gasket for the pan? Iíve got the 5-45rfe.

I would rather go the gasket route but if they donít make one which type of gasket maker should i use? Red or Copper? They had some type of black stuff on it, The excess doesnít feel too solid, feels like it kinda just peels away.

Thanks in advance for the help J

Escape 03-16-2012 06:06 PM

Re: Tranny Pan leak

Permatex 81180 automatic trans rtv sealant.

01grand 03-19-2012 08:27 AM

When I put new filters in my tranny they came with a gasket, but I have heard that is not necessary, red or black RTV will work fine.

cheapjeep 03-19-2012 08:44 AM

Take a good look at the flange area of the pan and mating surface of the tranny for any irregularities. The pan usually seals up easily with a bead of rtv. If a bolt was snapped they must have been having issues because the pan bolts are only supposed to be torqued to 105 in lbs.

Frango100 03-19-2012 11:00 AM

The 2 times i serviced the tranny, i just used black high heat resistant RTV. No drop of fluid leaked through.
After the tranny was overhauled last year, they used a rubber gasket on it, which is causing a slight leak. When i have some spare time left, i will change the gasket for the RTV again, much more reliable.

Heelsparky0501 03-19-2012 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I ordered both a gasket and the permatex transmission rtv, when they come in I'll see how the gasket looks. But will most likely use the rtv.

Along with the order is a new oil pan and windage tray/seal.
Not sure if I'll be able to finish both pans in a day lol.

My jeep only has 60000 miles too. Shame I live in ct and the salt likes to eat everything :(.

Heelsparky0501 03-23-2012 08:29 PM

Well i just thought i would come back with an update. i dropped the tranny pan and there ended up being a notch made in it on the bottom of the tranny, so i put a little extra rtv and sealed her up and so far so good ;)

I also replaced the oil pan, that sucked! I would rather change blend doors and heater cores all day then dick around with the exhaust and tight spaces lol.

01grand 03-23-2012 08:30 PM

Glad you got it sealed up, RTV is some good stuff.

I hear ya on the oil pan, i've been putting that one off for a while myself.