Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Lead for Soundproofing.. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/lead-for-soundproofing-3913.html)

TimmyB 11-08-2009 06:46 PM

Lead for Soundproofing..

I have a big roll of lead in my basement right now, I was thinking of covering my cargo floor pan with it and soldering the edges making it a single sheet when done. I noticed more road noise from the back now that I dropped my spare tire for my srt exhaust install. Anyone else ever use lead for soundproofing before? I have enough to cover the entire sub floor back there. And i hear lead is a gread sound deadener to use because its so dense.

Joe in PA 11-08-2009 06:53 PM

Re: Lead for Soundproofing..

That would add a good bit of weight to the Jeep, no? I'd go with the sound proofing material specifically made for auto stereo work. Then you you send all that nice lead to me and I'll use it to pour a bunch of fishing jig heads. :D

TimmyB 11-08-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 95667)
That would add a good bit of weight to the Jeep, no? I'd go with the sound proofing material specifically made for auto stereo work. Then you you send all that nice lead to me and I'll use it to pour a bunch of fishing jig heads. :D

Lol, im sure shipping cost would be alot sending it to you. The only reason im asking is im moving and I dont have space to take alot of the things I accumulated over the years here. So figured id use it on something instead of throwing it away. The roll of lead is heavey, prob 40-50lbs. I removed the spare tire, so evens out.

Joe in PA 11-08-2009 07:05 PM

Take it to a scrap metal place and you'll probably get a good chunk of change for 50lbs of soft lead. Then use that money towards the lightweight sound proofing stuff. ;)

TimmyB 11-08-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 95682)
Take it to a scrap metal place and you'll probably get a good chunk of change for 50lbs of soft lead. Then use that money towards the lightweight sound proofing stuff. ;)

Really? I got it from Homedepot, its a 50' roll of lead flashing for roofs. I didnt even think to go to a metal scrape yard. Cool. I have a bunch of copper wireing and pipes in my basemement also they might buy. Thanks for the idea.

robpp 11-08-2009 07:25 PM

they will give a lot more for copper wire that has the plastic peeled off.

TimmyB 11-08-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 95705)
they will give a lot more for copper wire that has the plastic peeled off.

Its actually the old knob and tube wireing with the rubber/cloth type covering on it. Seems easy to take off so i'll spend some time removing it first then before I bring it. Sweet, I have alot of that and copper pipes stacked in a corner down there.

Matt 11-08-2009 11:28 PM

Probably not worth the weight to effectiveness ratio. Some guys have used BB's mixed with clay to use around the baffle (for a door).

TimmyB 11-08-2009 11:43 PM

From my google research I hear lead is the best for soundproofing because its so dam dense. Thats the only reason i was thinking of using what i had in the cargo area.

Matt 11-08-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 95953)
From my google research I hear lead is the best for soundproofing because its so dam dense. Thats the only reason i was thinking of using what i had in the cargo area.

But is it worth the weight added? That's the question I would have. For sure the best thing would be the most dense material you could find, but there are consequences to this.

TimmyB 11-09-2009 12:41 AM

Well its only doing the cargo area where I do hear alot of road noise and exhaust from now, so adding the lead at about 40lbs doesnt really bother me. Thats like driving around with a midget in the rear seats to me, not much of a difference if you look a it like that. lol.

Matt 11-09-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 95965)
Well its only doing the cargo area where I do hear alot of road noise and exhaust from now, so adding the lead at about 40lbs doesnt really bother me. Thats like driving around with a midget in the rear seats to me, not much of a difference if you look a it like that. lol.

Yeah, if your exhaust is loud enough then I say do it.

Stereo > exhaust :D